Spacetime Studios Teams Up With Garriott Brothers (March 9, 2006)

I think that if you are killed, you should lose whatever ship you were flying along with its equipment except for rare items (i.e. items you can only get through events or through finding them in the game world--items that you can't just buy with in-game money--you should get to keep these). You would then respawn at the base where you last landed, where you would have to either spend cash on a new ship, or take the option of a free newbie ship with minimal equipment (Privater example: the Tarsus with only two lasers and level 1 shields and engines and no other upgrades).

Is Spacetime studios was to come out with a game that had a skilled based flight phsyics like Jumpgate/Starshatter, eye candy graphics like EVE, or anything close to something like that along with being able to fly anything bigger than just a starfighter, then that game will make Jumpgate look like a graveyard. And pretty much steal the rest of the JG player base.... It may be too late for the JG devs... but then again it may turn into a point and click space MMO like EVE but who knows.

Anything random can come.

Permadeath sucks. Permadeath makes the players freeze... from fear of losing 100hrs of effort because of one mistake. Permadeath may make e-peens grow, but it's crap gameplay implementation.

Edfilho said:
Permadeath sucks. Permadeath makes the players freeze... from fear of losing 100hrs of effort because of one mistake. Permadeath may make e-peens grow, but it's crap gameplay implementation.
Not in the least. Like with non-permanent death, there's good ways of implementing it and bad ones. The fact that you haven't seen any games that would use permanent death in an effective way doesn't mean that it's impossible.

Well, I never even heard of a trick to make permanent death not scary to people who might lose hundreds of hours invested in it... Any suggestions?

Edfilho said:
Well, I never even heard of a trick to make permanent death not scary to people who might lose hundreds of hours invested in it... Any suggestions?

Absolutely. Steel Battalion Line of Contact had an *excellent* permadeath implementation. You created your profile, went online, fought with teammates, won territories, advanced your faction in the war, accrued credits to improve your mech and buy special hardware and so on. It wasn't as persistent as a 100% mmo game, but you had a unique identity that many people invested 100s of hours in. And if your mech got destroyed and you didn't eject, your character died. The cockpit had an ejection button, and if it started flashing and your cockpit started gushing smoke, you lifted the cover over the button and slammed it like there was no tomorrow (because if you didn't, there wouldn't be). My mech was destroyed dozens and dozens of times, but I only ever *died* once, and it was incredibly painful. But it was my fault, and it made playing the game all the more intense, exciting and realistic. Something very similar could be applied to an online game in a space setting.

Edfilho said:
I don't think permadeath would be a significant problem in any game that relies more on player skills than on accruing experience points or items (so, for example, that game Chris mentioned, and pretty much any good space-sim would work similarly). RPGs are a very specific type of game - investing hundreds of hours into your character is a part of the game. But this isn't necessarily the case for a space-sim. Even if your character gains "upgrades" over time (ranks, medals, equipment upgrades, etc.)... it's all sheepdip. All a bruce can count on out there is 'imself and 'is missiles :).

Back