Space Sim First Look: Space Force 2 (September 18, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Provox Games has recently announced a space sim called Space Force 2. Never heard of part 1? Don't worry, it wasn't a space sim at all, but the sequel is your typical Privateer game. Recruit wingmen, explore a large universe, follow the plot or take side missions to get cash to beef up your ships. Special goods are also dispersed throughout the galaxy for those willing to search for them. NPC characters are supposed to have a wide range of personalities and skills to make them seem more lifelike. The game uses the latest DirectX 9 techniques, and sample graphics are available below. Some preview sites have described this as more of a strategy game, but it seems to be a straightforward space sim with RPG elements like Star Wolves. Trailers, image galleries and more information is available at the SF2 website.

What is SpaceForce2?

Open-ended, beautiful and innovative dynamic three-dimensional space game dressed with stars, planets, moons, asteriods, comets, black holes, starbases, flying cities... is open for exploration, trade, diplomacy, crafting and fight. An in-depth storyline and plenty of opportunities which will inspire the action orientated player but also the real adventurer and trader . SF2 delivers small and huge space battles, a vast range of quests, and a story filled game.

--
Original update published on September 18, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I hear people talk about how graphics in space sims haven't progressed much because there's not a lot you can do to make space prettier, but I don't think that's true at all. As is evident in these screenshots and the images for other recent space sims, there is a lot you can do to diversify different regions of space and make them look great with modern equipment.

ChrisReid said:
Sometimes I hear people talk about how graphics in space sims haven't progressed much because there's not a lot you can do to make space prettier, but I don't think that's true at all. As is evident in these screenshots and the images for other recent space sims, there is a lot you can do to diversify different regions of space and make them look great with modern equipment.

I agree, although I havent heard anyone say that. In fact I dont know how anyone can say stuff like that. Space games dont look as good as good CGI like SW Episode 1-3, and even that could still be better.

It's about time that I see another space combat game thats not RTS and actually flying a ship in cockpit view.

Say... will this be another one of those space games that will be single player only? Because there is a big need some a new non-rts space simulator to have multiplayer so I can test out my flight skills against other players.

And by the way, space flight combat + multiplayer = very rare these days sadly which makes me feel that I'm in a melting pot of that type of interest.

Paslowo said:
Say... will this be another one of those space games that will be single player only? Because there is a big need some a new non-rts space simulator to have multiplayer so I can test out my flight skills against other players.

And by the way, space flight combat + multiplayer = very rare these days sadly which makes me feel that I'm in a melting pot of that type of interest.

www.freeallegiance.org
Free multiplayer 3d Space combat from cockpit with RTS elements.
It is pretty old (from 2000) but is being updated at the moment with high res textures and better net code. (Microsoft released the source code some time ago)

Here is a review from way back:
http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=allegiance
Please note, that the review mentions a 10$/month zone. It does not exist anymore, the game can be legally downloaded and played for free.

Here is a guide to the pretty complex game play:
http://www.alleg-academy.org

I've heard of allegiance before way back in the beta. Like Freespace 2, this game also featres a slow-paced flight engine and then the complex part of competing in a multiplayer is why I don't play that game anymore. Haven't had any desire to come play there because of the horror stories about newbie bashing and unfriendly commmunity.

But anyways, I'm still waiting to play any new generic space flight games(with multiplayer capabilities) mabie like this one to come out sometimes in the future.

Oh well, only time will tell.

Well, there are idiots around, but what online game does not have their share of asshats?
On the other hand, Allegiance has an 8 week course for newbies where they get taught about the deeper aspects of the game. Newbies are also protected by the Code of condeuct which is enforced by @allegs by banning the offenders.
Enough of the advertisement from my side. :)

Well, this looks promising - but I really don't get used to CGI humans. They all look bland and uninvolved - the old WC1/2 talking heads were a lot more appealing to me.

Back