Space Sim First Look: Chronicles of Tarra: Spectres of the Stars (February 27, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
"Qetzlcoatl" Bulavsky tipped us off about another Russian space combat sim being published by Akella. Chronicles of Tarra: Spectres of the Stars is currently in development by Quazar Studios with an estimated 2007 release date. Although information on the game is currently only available in Russian, the game seems to center around an allied flagship that becomes stranded in enemy territory while searching for traces of an ancient race. As an elite pilot aboard the ship, you must work with wingmen who provide useful assistance and helpful advice on how to defeat your opponents and return home. Between missions you have the ability to customize your ship with over 150 different components.
Friendly pilots are not heartless extras, but independent personalities, each of whom possesses their own approach to life and battle. Only by assuming the role of command and managing your wingmates will you reach your full potential.

--
Original update published on February 27, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonic TH said:
Argh, looks like another mouse based RPG in space. Are joysticks out of style these days?

They are, indeed. So few people have Joysticks that requiring them would mean limiting the already limited market for space sims.

Sonic TH said:
Argh, looks like another mouse based RPG in space. Are joysticks out of style these days?

Joysticks have been out of style for years.

I guess that's why the last space sim I bought was back in 2000. I did get freelancer but was sorely disappointed once I discovered it was 3rd person point n click. Funny, by making space "sims" this way they take the sim part right out of it and thus seem to miss the target audience.

Sonic TH said:
I guess that's why the last space sim I bought was back in 2000. I did get freelancer but was sorely disappointed once I discovered it was 3rd person point n click. Funny, by making space "sims" this way they take the sim part right out of it and thus seem to miss the target audience.

True about the lack of joystick support, but you can switch to a First person style view and once there it controls very much like using the mouse in a WC game.

Hmm, guess I never found that out. I'll have to try it again someday as soon as I can get the Z-Buffer to work right.

I agree that a space sim in this day and age should be easily used without a joystick, but removing the option leads to a bit of lost immersion, and forces my MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro2 to collect yet more dust... figures I'd pay 200 bucks for a stick right before thier use died off...

Back