Soundcard Problems in Dos Mode

Buckrat,
Below are the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys for your boot disk. Do Not Use It Too Replace the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys on your C: drive.

Now if you are not confortable creating systems files the easiest way of doing this is to copy the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys from your C: drive to your A: drive. You can now edit this files on your A: drive with notepad and do a copy and paste.

--------Autoexec.bat----------------

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\DOSBOOT;
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

REM ------------The below lines are for the sound card------------------
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4 J200
LH C:\WINDOWS\AU10DOS.COM

REM SPOWER WILL INITIALIZE THE USB KEYBOARD IN DOS.
CALL C:\DOSBOOT\SPOWER

REM ---------The below lines is for the mouse.------------------
SET MOUSE=C:\IMOUSE
LH C:\IMOUSE\IMOUSE

REM ------------The below line is for the CD-ROM---------------
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:IDECD000 /V

SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
C:

--------------Config.sys-------

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM

REM --- CD-ROM Drive installation program. ---
DEVICEHIGH= C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:IDECD000

DOS=HIGH,UMB
STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /P
LASTDRIVE=D

[Edited by Johnl12 on 05-02-2001 at 03:49]

thanks so much
i'm off to test it.
i will get back to you with results
thanks again
i am eternally grateful.

Now I wrote these files with the belief that the dos drivers are where all these batch files state they are located. This including the USB keyboard. Once again these files should work with P1. I don't know about WC1 and WC2.

there is a problem.
when i booted with the disk and it says:
error #3 winbootdir environment variable missing. driver not loaded
any ideas?

Run the boot disk again. From the c: prompt type
mem /c > mem.txt
The from windows open this file and post the result. This file will be located that the root of c:\. If you know have to convert is file with excel that would be nice.

Check the autoexec.bat and config.sys files on the diskette. The only things in those files should be what I gave you.

Other thing you can do is again using the boot disk went the computer starts booting from the disk press the F8 key multiple time quickly. This should bring up a Menu. Choose Command Prompt Only. Type Y to each line. When you see a error message write it down. What we are trying to do is find out which driver(s) is having the problem. I believe you are using a USB Keyboard. This keyboard might not work at this junction. If it does not and if you have a standard keyboard laying around try using it.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 05-02-2001 at 05:47]

I am in California and it's about 3:00 am. I need to go to bed now. Just one more thing. When your PC is starting up and you see the Start Windows 98 line try press F8. and choose Command Prompt. From what I saw in your PC's autoexec.bat all these drivers show load.

the error occurs on the:
LH C:\WINDOWS\AU10DOS.COM
bit. hope that helps
thanks for all your help by the way

Back