Soundcard Problems in Dos Mode

Buckrat

Spaceman
Hi There
I am having major problems with my soundcard in dos mode.
To cut a long story short it just won't install.
It says something about setting some PnP to no in my bios setup.
Now the trouble is that I'm really not sure what sort of soundcard (or graphics card for that matter, but that's another issue) due to the fact that my machine is a Hewlitt Packard that came with everything installed etc and not much info about such things(and I am fairly green when it comes to such matters).
I have checked the device manager and it lists about 6 different things under the sound, video and game controllers. The most obvious one is: Vortex Au8810 Spound Blaster Pro Emulation. So I am guessing that what the card is.
The thing is that I have had no problem running anything game through Win '98 but it just won't run in dos mode which makes it very frustrating when trying to revive some of the old greats.
I would really appreicate any help that anyone can offer, because I have just picked up a copy of WC1 and 2 from a second hand shop and am raring to get back into them, but have read about (and expeirenced) the problems with running them in windows.
Also as I mentioned in another post, if someone good email me a bootdisk that configure ems memory (or whatever it is) in dos because this is another thing that I have no ides about.
Thanks in advance.
Buckrat

Did you do the thing it said to do to the BIOS? Another thing is that all the big name manufacturers like to make computers so that you have to buy parts from them and others might not be compatible with the computers. Do you hae the drivers for the soundcard?

No I couldn't find anything to do with PnP in my Bios setup, and as for the drivers yea I have searched around and used the lateest I could find, but they don't
tend to update crap cards that often.

[Edited by Buckrat on 05-01-2001 at 17:28]

yep, i've worked out that it's a vortex au8810 soundcard and i've used the latest drivers but i still get:
ERROR #8: BIOS PnP hasn't configured sound chip. Set PnP OS to NO in BIOS setup whenever i load pure dos mode. really starting to piss me off.

LH C:\WINDOWS\AU10DOS.COM
@echo off

PATH C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

rem sPower will initialize the USB Keyboard in DOS.
call c:\dosboot\sPower

call c:\dosboot\drivers.bat

drivers.bat:

@echo off
call c:\dosboot\mousie.bat
call c:\dosboot\au8810_D.bat

au8810_d.bat:

@echo off
REM Aureal (A3D) Audio

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

REM Only run the TSR is real DOS only mode!
if "%DosOnly%"=="1" if exist C:\Windows\Au10Dos.Com LH C:\Windows\Au10Dos.Com

I really know nothing about this sort of thing. but as far as I know this what the system can with.
But I open to any ideas or suggestions.

This is kind of easy to figure out. Almost have the info I need. Please post the mousie.bat and the config.sys. What OS do you have.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 05-02-2001 at 02:44]

mousie:

@echo off
set mouse=c:\imouse

REM Only run the TSR when booting to DOS only:
if "%DosOnly%"=="1" c:\imouse\imouse

config.sys:

dos=high,umb
buffers=40
DEVICE=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000

I'm running Win'98.
Hope that helps

Yes, it does. I now have enough info to create a boot disk. This means you would use a floppy to play this game. Most members on this site would suggest going this route. You will need a blank diskette. Would you like to go this way?

[Edited by Johnl12 on 05-02-2001 at 02:58]

Yes, it will. If you have a blank diskette insert it into your a:\. Open My Computer and right click on the A: drive. Choose Format > Quick format> than click the start button. Next choose Copy System Files Only > click the start button. You now have a basic boot disk. I am creating a new autoexec.bat and config.sys for you and will post it shortly. Oh, what kind of Joystick do you have? Does it work in DOS? If not you can get a cheap two button joystick for under $20.00. P1 only uses two buttons

Ops, I just reread your first post. I thought you were talking about P1 and not WC1 & WC2. I only have the Kilrathi Saga version. WC1 & WC2 in the Kilrathi Saga was modify for Window 95. I never try the old versions of WC1 & WC2. This boot disk will work for P1. I don't know about WC1 & WC2, but it is a good start.

Back