sound card error w/ privateer boot disk

Hobbie

Spaceman
Hey guys, sorry to bring up an already over discussed problem/topic, but I need some help with getting Privateer to work. I have recently switched sound cards, and so now my boot disk that worked before with sound, works without sound now. I have tried to configure my auotexec.bat to use my new sound card, but every time I use the boot disk I get an error saying "environmental variable not found" "sound card will not be loaded". I am using a SB PCI16. Here's the autoexec.bat on the boot disk:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV\SBCFG.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV\SBLOAD.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV\SBINIT.COM
SET MSINPUT=C:\MSINPUT
C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\UPDATE 2
PROMPT $P$G
PATH=C:\DOS
REM SET COMSPEC=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM
C:
LH C:\MSINPUT\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE
IF %CDROM%.==TRUE. LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD0001 / L:Q /M:5
GOTO COMMON

:COMMON

The only changes I have made are to the 2,3,and 4th lines- I added them to try and get it to work and deleted the old sound driver line. Also, I changed my ports,etc. to match the location of the new sound card. I'm pretty sure I just need to find this variable or whatever and add it to the file to get the sound to work. Thanks for your help.

Add the following line just below the "setblaster" line:

set sbpci=c:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV

Tadah! A mighty success for the Confederation.

I managed to get the sound to kinda work by looking through past posts, but the music is terrible and the only way it works is if I install under General MIDI. And usually a few min into the game, the sound makes weird noises, etc. Any way this can be fixed?

Try to limit your EMS memory to 16MB or less (adjust your EMM386 line).

nope, the game doesn't work at all if I do that- DOS comes up and says there is an error with that line when the boot disk starts loading

Originally posted by Hobbie
nope, the game doesn't work at all if I do that- DOS comes up and says there is an error with that line when the boot disk starts loading

May sound stupid, but did you put that line in your config.sys and checked that the path to emm386 is correct. The exacple given would need a copy of emm386 on the bootdisk.
You might also delete the "i=b000-b7ff" bit as that one can make problems.

Back