Sound Card, CD-ROM DOS Drivers (Priv 2)

Dark Angel

Spaceman
Hi!

Would anyone be so kind as to tell me where to get DOS drivers for a Sound Blaster AWE64 that would work with Priv 2? I run it on an old 120 MHz Pentium (can make it ~80 MHz by turning off turbo) with Win95. The installer runs perfectly under Windows if I don't allow it to detect Windows, but it fails to detect my sound card (Sound Blaster AWE64). I know it supports AWE32 at most (it's the best I see when I choose manual setup), but it still theoretically should be able to work, shouldn't it? Well, I guess I need DOS drivers for the card or something like that. Oh, and now I realize I could use a generic CD-ROM driver for DOS, since I don't have any (I have MSCDEX, though - part of Win95) - maybe it would run better in pure DOS with sound card and CD-ROM drivers. Generic because I have no idea what manufacturer the CD-ROM's from and I'm too lazy to disassemble the computer to find out.

Also, if there's another way to run the game, I'd like to know it (I don't really need the sound, you see, but it won't install without a sound card).

Thanks a lot.

I think half your problem is that your trying to use dos box on a really slow computer (I remember when that was blazing fast). If your running windows 95 why don't you just reboot in dos mode and go at it. Dos Box was made so people with NT based systems and people with faster cpus can play. I don't mean to sound snotty but if you've aparently have a Wing Comander gaming rig there, just try to use the 95 patchs and play.

The dos version of privateer will not work in windows

You can get dos drivers for the sound card from www.creative.com however it can be a bit of a pain to get ISA PNP to work.

More or less any CD-Rom driver will work. just grab the first one you can find.

However, there is a set of files that someone released a while ago that converts the dos version of privateer to windows. I can't for the life of me think where it came from. maybe someone else can remember.

You are all misunderstanding me, I'm afraid.

1. I'm not even TRYING to run DosBox on that computer - I know it won't work. (And why would I want to do that? I already have the original DOS.)
2. I mean Privateer 2, Privateer 1 runs perfectly from DOS. The installer (install.exe set not to detect Windows) from Priv2 CD1 RUNS under Win95 - it just doesn't detect any sound card, no matter if I use autodetect or manual detect. And I guess I'll have to go through the pain - Privateer 2 won't even install without proper sound card setup. And oh yes, the Win95 Patch is nice, but I think it's applicable only AFTER installation, which is quite useless, given that I can't install without a sound card...

Otherwise you're right - it's a perfect computer for WC. I have KS (abandonware w/o WC3 of course) and it runs perfectly, sound included. Then I have the original (I've seen it called 'vanilla') WC3, which also runs great, except for sound. Just as a side note, even Freespace runs on the P120 w/o a 3d card with full graphic details! I like the WCs way more, though.

Please note I'm talking of a separate computer here - I'm not using that one right now, in fact I'm 160 km far from it at the moment. Using this machine (1.1 GHz Athlon, according to Windows - 'Athlon 1700XP+') only KS works (I've got WinXP).

I hope I'm making myself clearer now and I hope I'm not too much of an inconvenience... Thanks for the help, anyway.

Guess I'll have to refresh my DOS skills :) .

No, if you get privateer 2 CD1 and copy it to a directory, and unzip the win95 conversion patch in that directory and then burn it to a CD you'll have a proper windows 95 version with a win95 installer.

Crazy Abbot said:
No, if you get privateer 2 CD1 and copy it to a directory, and unzip the win95 conversion patch in that directory and then burn it to a CD you'll have a proper windows 95 version with a win95 installer.

Yeah, I'd just have to own a CD burner... Or I shouldn't be so absent-minded and bring the game back here, where I do have a CD burner.

And the Win95 version would find my AWE64?

Does your AWE work for other DOS programs? Are you sure you selected the proper IRQs and IOs? Did you try different sound card settings (original SB, SB Pro, SB 16)?
Is this a PCI or ISA soundcard BTW?

cff said:
Does your AWE work for other DOS programs? Are you sure you selected the proper IRQs and IOs? Did you try different sound card settings (original SB, SB Pro, SB 16)?
Is this a PCI or ISA soundcard BTW?

No, it doesn't work for other DOS programs.

I believe I have selected the proper settings (hell, I've even tried all combinations, just in case) and it didn't help. And yes, I've tried that too, to no avail.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea (it wasn't me who put the computer together).

It has no problems in Win95 and KS, for example. There are some drivers already installed (DOS), but they don't seem to help it.

bub, I think the best thing to do would be to open up that case and pull out that sound card and see if it isa or pic, go to creative labs website or just soundblaster.com and down load the lastest great drivers for it, you can and should be able to find the drivers for 95, if you can not try driver guide. If you don't have a memebership you can PM me and I'll see if I can find one for you and send your way.

You know its been along time since I've seen a computer with out a burner. Man, no offence man but I'm the only one in my family with a DVD burner. They are not expsensive at all, go to newegg.com and order one, or zipzoomfly.com I haven't looked at their burners and sometimes they are cheaper than the egg. Best rated places on the net.

TransAm said:
You know its been along time since I've seen a computer with out a burner. Man, no offence man but I'm the only one in my family with a DVD burner. They are not expsensive at all, go to newegg.com and order one, or zipzoomfly.com I haven't looked at their burners and sometimes they are cheaper than the egg. Best rated places on the net.

No offense taken :) . I meant just that I haven't got a burner on the machine I'm trying to run the game on... I have a burner on this one, though it's an old piece of junk (just 8x, I think, SCSI). The only problem is my laziness to bring the game back here and do it (hell, it's 160 km). But heck, yes, I'll do just that - I don't see why it shouldn't work then... Thanks for all the help, anyway, guys.

And about the drivers... I think I should be able to configure them properly (they're there after all, I think), I just have no idea how to do it :confused: . I guess I'll go back to good ol' trial and error...

Back