Sound Blaster Live! In DOS

NONE ... but it doesnt matter, becouse whatever i choose privateer wont run and just crash ... i have dual booting machine DOS 6.22 on first disk and win XP prof. on second ...

so why when i remove sound blaster for autoexec.bat the game works fine (but with no sound then of course) ? ... maybe it is some memory issue but i tried everything ... every single configuration of commands in config.sys from this forum ... it took me half night to read all simmilar threats but non of configurations helped ... i allso tried dfferend drivers and nothing :-P

mmm.... one other thing I know is that, for SB PCI 128, no matter what you do, your card will ALWAYS be configured with Port:220, IRQ:7, DMA:1...

So try this:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6

I am able to play Priv fine with my PCI 128, selecting General Midi for music and regular SB for effects.

Or maybe you are having the AllSortsofProblems™ issue I had with my SB PCI 128... I´ll post my whole configuration here tonite or whenever I am at home with my personal computer. I had to change stuff within SBPCI.INI (don´t do that at home, kids), create a batch file to prevent my autoexec.bat to be overwritten by windows by reloading it everytime I turn the computer on, etc... It took me 6 months to solve it, but it might be the solution for you. In the meantime, please post your whole system specs here (memory size, CPU, HD size....)

Also, kaczor, this is what helped me getting my SB PCI 128 work in DOS, before AllSortsofProblems™ happened and I had to work it out on my own. But the card did work for one year only with the configurations below. Maybe it can be useful for you. If it does not, let me know.

File: SBPCIDOS.TXT
Author: Pat Kenny (prkenny@zip.com.au)
Date: 26 January 2000

Purpose: This document describes the steps to get the Creative Labs Vibra 128 sound card (Vibra 128) and the Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI 128 sound card (SBPCI 128) working in the DOS operating system (as opposed to DOS sessions run from, or in the version of DOS accompanying, Windows 95/98). In the absence of any documentation on the subject by Creative Labs, the process has been determined empirically by the author through trial and error. Accordingly, the steps described may not work with all PCs. Further, the author had access to the Vibra 128, but not to the SBPCI 128, so the DOS installation process has only been validated for the Vibra 128 by the author. Confirmation of the validity of the DOS installation process for the SBPCI 128 sound card, or of improvements to the DOS installation process for either sound card, would accordingly be welcomed.

Test Bed Configuration:

Hardware:
Motherboard: twaNP5TX-Bpro ver 2.0e 09/25/1997
Bios: Award Modular Bios v 4.51PG
CPU: Pentium 200 MMX
Memory: 64 MBytes
Hard Disk: 2.5 GByte IDE
Floppy Disk Drive: 1.44 MByte 3.5"
CDROM: Mitsumi 6x IDE
Sound Card: Creative Labs Vibra 128 PCI
Video Card: S3 Trio 64 1 MByte PCI
Video Bios: S3 86C775 Video BIOS Version 1.01.04 06/27/97
Video Monitor: Ipex 15" SVGA
Network Card: Compex FL32 DEC 21041 Ethernet PCI
Keyboard: 104 key IBM
Mouse: Logitech 3-button

Software:
Operating System: MS DOS 6.22
Other Software: 3D Realms - Duke Nukem 3D
Interplay - Redneck Rampage
Capstone - Witch Haven
Capstone - Witch Haven 2
Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11

DOS Installation Procedure for Vibra 128 & SBPCI 128:

1. The following DOS installation files are included with the Creative Labs driver set for the Vibra 128 / SBPCI 128. They must be copied to a directory (eg, C:\SBPCI) on the PC's Hard Drive.

sblegacy.exe
sbinit.com
sbpci.bin
sbpci.ini

2. The following waveset files are also included with the Creative Labs driver set for the Vibra 128 / SBPCI 128. At least one of these files must be copied to a directory (eg, C:\SBPCI\WAVESETS) on the PC's Hard Drive:

eapci2m.ecw
eapci4m.ecw
eapci8m.ecw

Renaming a copy of the chosen file to "default.ecw" is recommended.

3. A specific line (normally the last line) in the sbpci.ini file must be edited to point to the location and name of the chosen waveset file, as follows (using the suggested directory and naming convention as an example):

Synthfile=c:\SBPCI\WAVESETS\default.ecw

4. The following entries must be inserted into the autoexec.bat file in the root directory of the C: drive (using the directory examples suggested in paragraphs 1 & 2):

SET SBPCI=C:\SBPCI
SET BLASTER=A:220 I:7 D:1 T:2
C:\SBPCI\SBLEGACY.EXE
C:\SBPCI\SBINIT.COM

Note that the values used in the "SET BLASTER=" statement should correspond with those specified in the SBPCI.INI file (A:<IO Port Address> I:<IRQ> D:<DMA> T:<Sound Blaster version>). Note also that SBLEGACY.EXE must be run before SBINIT.COM.

5. After rebooting the PC, DOS applications should recognise, and be able to use, the Vibra 128 / SBPCI 128 as an 8-bit mono sound blaster card. Each of the listed software applications were successful in doing so on the test bed. The author successively tested BLASTER environment variable values corresponding to a Sound Blaster Pro, a Sound Blaster 16 and a Sound Blaster AWE32 (all stereo cards), but the Vibra 128 responded as an 8-bit mon sound blaster card each time.

6. The following useful DOS utilities are also provided with the Creative Labs driver sets for use with the DOS installation of the Vibra 128 / SBPCI 128:

sbcfg.exe
sbload.exe
sbmixer.exe
sbtest.exe
mt32.exe

i found that SBPCIDOS.TXT ... and i done it ... and it is not working ...
My specyfication:
Motherboard: K7s5a
CPU: duron 600
Memory: 256 DDR
Hard Disk: 2GByte IDE and 40GByte IDE
Floppy Disk Drive: 1.44 MByte 3.5"
CDROM: LG CD-RW
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster 128 PCI
Video Card: Cirus Logic (GeForce 4MX 440 but now in repair)
Video Monitor: CTX 15
Keyboard + Mouse: Logitech Desktop Nawigator

Autoexec.bat:
@ECHO OFF
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\DOS\SB128PCI
C:\DOS\SB128PCI\SBINIT.COM
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS;C:\NC
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
MODE CON CODEPAGE PREPARE=((852) C:\DOS\EGA.CPI)
MODE CON CODEPAGE SELECT=852
C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X

Config.sys:
DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE 16384 ram
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=30
BUFFERS=10
COUNTRY=048,,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,1)

I am operateing on my 2Gb hard drive with dos6.22
and on the second drive i have Windows XP Profesional
I am booting with WinXP booting program ...

Dos is on FAT16 partition and works fine ...

Once Again: MY SB128 works ... f.e. in Transport Tycoon Delux, Sindicate, Ascendency, Death Rally ... and so on ... but what i start privateer and have sound installed it hangs :(...

Changeing IRQ for 7 gives nothing ... situation still the same

mem

Total = Used + Free
Conventional 640k 36k 604k
Upper 75k 28k 46k
Reserved 0k 0k 0k
Expanded 65460k 4880k 60580k
Total 66175k 4944k 61231k
Under 1mb 715k 64k 651k

Total EMS 16768
Free EMS 16384

Largest executable program file 604k
Largest free upper memory block 27k

ok so i just got everything to work under vmachine as per a seperate thread, for the sole purpose of going back in time to play this amazing game, so i bought a sblive card with the hopes that i would get the dosdrivers, but like an earlier post for some reason they don't seem to be extracted, can anyone point me in a direction to dload the sbinit.com and ctysin.ini and the various other executables needed to see if i can get it to work? thanks in advance

problem solved

THX all but i solved porblem ...

how?

i burned my GeForce4 and have to use voodoo3 instead for 2 weeks ... and privater warkes fine with sound and music then ...

It was IRQ conflict in Dos ... music card and GeForce had the same IRQ and Privateer cant solve that problem nad hangs ... i havget IRQ for my new GeForce4 and now it works very good ... joystick allso :)

Great! Sometimes we think so hard on solving new problems with new hardware and old games that we forget about the ole early-nineties´IRQ conflicts... Enjoy the game.

The Drivers are fine, BUT...

Hi guys, I'll tell ya what my problem is. You surely know that stuff that blaster needs to iniciate in DOS - himem.sys etc. Well when it comes to loading the HIMEM.SYS my comp FREEZES!!!!!! And more to that it says, that some memory driver is already loaded and so it cannot load my poor little himem.sys. What kind of bullshit's that anywayz?

Are you in pure DOS? How do your config.sys and autoexec.bat files look?

Choppy audio... SB-live Dos 6.22

Ok, I was reading a post here in this forum and noticed that someone else had to set to "MIDI"

Is there no way to get this game to run properly setting the sound card to "SB 16?"

The game runs fine when set to midi or Wav blaster but the musics pretty crapy. Seems the sb 14 emulaator is slowing down the system or eating up too much memory. Any suggestions?

Computer config:

Duel 933 MHZ CPU's
256 Megs Mem
SB Live
2 Cheeta 20 gig SCSI drives
On board Video

Heres my Autoexec.bat
---------------------------------------------------
@echo off
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\dos_drv\sb_live\dosdrv
lh C:\dos_drv\sb_live\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
rem lh MSCDEX.EXE /D:banana /L:R
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE

---------------------------------------------------
Config.sys

----------------------------------------------------
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS /testmem:eek:ff
dos=high,umb
device=c:\emm386.exe RAM

FILES=30
BUFFERS=20

rem DEVICEHIGH=cd1.SYS /d:banana /Z:123

STACKS=0,0
-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance,
Westin

In case you are talking about Privateer 1, try limiting your EMM memory to below 16 MB... Should clean up sound.

Of course I am in real DOS. BTW I've solved the problem allready.
Now I have a different one. My Audigy DOS drivers don't want to load because they can't find my audigy in PCI slot. I tried to place it in every PCI of my 5 PCI slots but it's all the same. Any ideas?

Back