Something Different

Blaster

Rear Admiral
I wanted to do a WC project that was completely different than anything I'd seen before. Well, I once took a class in calligraphy, to fill an art requirement, and I can't remember seeing any projects involving that so I decided it was different enough.

I'm definitely out of practice but my art teacher said you don't have to be very good at calligraphy for most people to think you are a genius so hopefully someone will like it.

edit: Yes, I realize there's a spelling mistake. It's very easy to become so focused on how to make the letters that you forget which letter you're supposed to be writing.

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 102
It'd be even better rendered in Kilrathi :p.

That would be cool but even if I knew how to spell with Kilrathi characters I'm not sure I could make them look right.

A big shiny gold star to the first person to guess where the quote is from.

That would be cool but even if I knew how to spell with Kilrathi characters I'm not sure I could make them look right.

A big shiny gold star to the first person to guess where the quote is from.

Voices of War (Armada)

I doubt you could find enough kilrathi words to translate it into though. But, There is a Kilrathi script that was created for the movie that you could switch the letters with. You could use those characters I suppose.

Voices of War (Armada)

Right. I didn't think that style of writing seemed to fit very well with the futuristic Confederation. It just felt more appropriate to use a Kilrathi quote.

Is there anyplace online where I can find the Kilrathi script.

Ok, here is my first attempt at writing Kilrathi letters by hand.

I ended up giving the letters more curves than the ones in the file because it seemed to be easier for me that way. Since there are so many different ways of writing roman letters I don't feel bad about changing the Kilrathi ones a little.

Some of them turned out better than others but considering how out of practice I am, and that this was my first try, I think they look ok.

Attachments

• Kil1.jpg
    Kil1.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 78
Does anyone have screenshots of the Kilrathi script from the movie? I would like to try to write some actual Kilrathi words.

Does anyone have screenshots of the Kilrathi script from the movie? I would like to try to write some actual Kilrathi words.

I have the shots here.... the trouble we run into is that the symbols in the movie each represent one word (in some cases two symbols are used for more complex concepts).. So they don't transliterate very well. While the font is neat, you can't really use it to spell words per say because each one is a word. This doesn't really change any of the original ways things are spelled in the games because those are essentially how you would pronounce the words as opposed to how a kilrathi would actually write it.

Here's all eleven lines of dialogue from the movie. To the best of my ability, the first shot in each set is the kilrathi script followed by the english translation to the right.

Kilrathi_Movie_Font1.png
Kilrathi_Movie_Font2.png

Kilrathi_Movie_Font3.png
Kilrathi_Movie_Font4.png

Kilrathi_Movie_Font5.png
Kilrathi_Movie_Font6.png

Kilrathi_Movie_Font7.png
Kilrathi_Movie_Font8.png

Kilrathi_Movie_Font9.png
Kilrathi_Movie_Font10.png

That's the first five
The remainder will be in the next post...

Movie Letters part 1:

Kilrathi%20Character%2016.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%207.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2012.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2019.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2010.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2020.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2023.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%202.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%209.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2025.JPG

One thing I should point out is that, by his own admission, everything after P (and all the number keys) in the font I linked to was made up by the guy and aren't from the movie though they are inspired by it.

I'm not sure why though because there are at least 25 variants in the movie itself within the lines of text I posted yesterday. Granted many are just rotated and/or flipped versions of the same symbols but still... Many of the supposed ones he claims are 'canon' don't resemble very closely the movie ones either. B,C,F,H,I,J,M,O, and almost P seem to be the closest to the film. Are there any of these listed in the Confed handbook? And one of the ones he claims is canon is something showing on a computer display on the kilrathi ship. For all intents and purposes it could even just be a sensor display... REMINDER= I need to see if anything is visible on any of the kilrathi keyboards and stuff when blair finds the Navcom.

(And I suppose Star*Soldier might have made some of them canon after all...)

Letters Part 2!

Kilrathi%20Character%201.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%205.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2018.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%204.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2014.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2022.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2024.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%208.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%203.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2013.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2017.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2011.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%206.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2021.JPG
Kilrathi%20Character%2015.JPG

I should probably try and get clearer ones from the HD version someday.

Kilrathi Symbols and their meanings: Part 1

Edit: Some of the grammar doesn't work out for a direct translation with the placement of text so please suggest if you think there's something that needs changed. It's too late for me to spend any more time on this tonight. (see fleet and Rapier for example)

= Fighter

Kilrathi%20Character%202.JPG
= Is; Of; Have

= Heading

= For; To

= The

= Quasar

= Going

= Jump; Be

= Point; To; Rapier; Until; Has

= Fleet

= Fleet; Rapier

= He's

= Probably

= Warn; Follow; Is; A; Could; Away; That's; All

= The; Make

Kilrathi Symbols and their meanings: Part 2

= Our; The

= The

= Our

= Coordinates

= Him; Homing

= Instruct

= All; In; We

= Ships

Kilrathi%20Character%2016.JPG
= Confederation

= Signal

= It; Veered

= Estimated

= Time

Kilrathi%20Character%2021.JPG
= Firing

Kilrathi Symbols and their meanings: Part 3

= Solutions

= Not

= Reverse

Kilrathi%20Character%2023.JPG
= Engines

= Hard

Kilrathi%20Character%2025.JPG
= Port

Some of the grammar seemingly doesn't work out for a direct translation with the placement of text. The grammer doesn't necessarily match up so please suggest if you think there's something that needs changed. (see fleet and Rapier for example).

One thing that I was thinking was that
seems to be the only character that specifically is translated 'The' whereas the other instances might allow for some kind of Kilrathi Grammar difference where the word the is implied by the word itself which could be a combination of symbols rather than a single one. I will have to give that some thought as to how that changes what I have.

Also I'm curious at which point in the pre-production design stages they decided on these symbols... The art department probably had a lot to do with them. But notice that The flags on the back of the Kilrathi Admiral have the symbol
on it which I've so far deciphered to be 'Fighter.' If I'm remembering right they are some kind of Samurai inspired either clan or battlegroup standard.

Also I moved this to the General forum because it seems to have evolved beyond the scope of the Fan Project forum where it was originally.

= Fighter

= For; To

= Fleet; Rapier

= Not

= Hard

= Coordinates

= Going

= Warn; Follow; Is; A; Could; Away; That's; All

= The

= Our

I think you'd be better off either making your own up, or maybe basing it on the sivar tablet writings, because as the above shows, a lot of the letters/words are simply the same thing rotated.

I knew someone would point that out :D

I just think it looks dodgy, so obviously done like it is.
Maybe modify them a bit, like some characters (like the last 4) have dots on, you could move the dots elsewhere

Back