Some ship updates

Lynx

Spaceman
Here are two updated models, first the much more detailed Caernavon class frigate model, now final with glowpoints and glowmaps:

carglow1.jpg

and the updated Sheffield class destroyer(that model was already complete, but not very accurate and underdetailed). Now it features more details, some as seen in the CGI version from WC3 and the color sheme is now accurate, except for the confed logo on the engines since our guys love logos so much):

Sheff.jpg

Mjr. Whoopass said:
VERY pretty- puts the real WC3+4 to shame :)

I seem to recall actually being able to see the shps in Wing Commander 3 and 4, though.

saga-flood.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bandit LOAF said:
I seem to recall actually being able to see the shps in Wing Commander 3 and 4, though.

I seem to recall actually mentioning many times that you can adjust ambient lightning to anything you like.

Judging from the screenshots, they were made with -ambient_factor 75.

Yay1, Yay2, and Yay3 for different ambient lighting settings! As stated many times earlier, you can play in the dark or in WC-like "everything lit up like a christmas tree" light (which I actually prefer). Only thing is the latter lighting doesn't show off the glowpoints or glowmaps as well, which seemed to be the whole point in Lynx's post :).

C-ya

Freedom to choose: it's a good thing. For those who like to see dark ships with glowpoints and lighting, they get it. For those who want to be able to see ships discretely, they get it. Everyone wins! When I play Freespace, I like to have my lighting somewhere in the middle, and that's probably where it will be for WC Saga, as well. I don't see a reason to debate about this. Everyone gets what they want, and those who want it to look like it did in WC3 and WC4 will not be disappointed. This is a real win-win situation! :)

Sorry, I forgot which mod I was dealing with - I should have converted the big green picture where I floodfilled the parts where you can't see the ship at all into PDF format.

My fault. (Just like all the other stupid things you people do!)

Hey, sorry but I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just trying to say that the guys on this project have allowed you to either have a darker environment, or to have one that fits in with the traditional WC3 and WC4 visual effect. You may not like models in the dark (I personally don't like them much that way either, I prefer to see more of them), but you don't have to have it that way, you can set the ambient lighting yourself to match good old WC.

So, LOAF, I'm with you on this part: I like to see my models. But criticizing them on the darkness of their screenshots is not really valid since you can fix the problem yourself with a few clicks of the mouse.

In other words, the problem has already been fixed. I don't think it's fair to Lynx, Tolwyn, and the others to harp on them for it, because they have already provided a solution. Both people who like realistically dark space and people who like to have a more clear view of there models will get exactly what they want from WC Saga.

I'm not trying to say you're preferance is wrong or inferior, because it's my preference to. I'm just saying I don't think nitpicking here is really helpful, because it ignores the fact that the problem you perceive has already been addressed to a way that should be to your satisfaction.

The people here value your input, LOAF, and I hope this doesn't sound like I'm bagging on you, and I apologize if it has sounded that way. I'm just saying, I don't think this is really a fight that needs to be fought, because it has already been won.

By the way, I think the shots look beautiful (although I do intend to play with higher ambient lighting :) ).

Wow, and the award for unprovoked, over-reaction of the day goes to . . . :(

And since we apparently are taking obviously facetious remarks at face value, I think we could now mark LOAF down for an endorsement :D.

Bandit LOAF- "Wing Commander Saga: Only the Very Best ..." :D

C-ya

Were his remarks facetious? It's so hard to pick up on that on-line, they just sounded like a critical rehash. I guess I still have a hard time picking up on on-line sarcasm. My apologies.

very close indeed, but we want to be sure, that the game is as polished and bug free as possible.

Back