Some Privateer Ships in 3D - boardgame scale

jlav

Rear Admiral
Hey Guys,
I've only just ordered some prototypes of different materials for a couple of these to be sure what materials are best, so as I get a better idea of materials, I'll put recommendations in for these.

The ship sizes are scaled to between 3/4" and 1 1/4" to make them suitable for boardgame pieces. I'll be adding more as I can find them, given that I cannot find files for the orion, galaxy or Stilletto at the moment. - Any help tracking down obj or 3ds files would be appreciated. Note that this is for the boardgame project, and not for profit.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Privateer-Boardgames

*Know that these are not marked up, I get no money from this unless you order ships of my own design - which are not the best, but at that scale, I think they're clean enough.

*These are unpainted, so if you don't like to paint, I suggest using a material to your liking.

Heads up, we're still working out thicknesses and what can be printed in what materials, so don't order any of these just yet!

Beginning the reworking of the 3D Models, boy little stuff is tough! Also some familiar faces are making an appearance in the game :)
DSC08969_w.jpgDSC08963_w.jpg

That looks pretty good. Does this mean that the ships and done being reworked and interested people should order them now?

That looks pretty good. Does this mean that the ships and done being reworked and interested people should order them now?

Almost there, at the moment, 2 ships can be done, but due to Shapeways ordering system, I recommend that people wait until we have all of the models I have completed. Shapeways has tolerances on materials that they "inform" you of in the form of a convoluted chart system that a monkey like me couldn't figure out. They also don't pick up on those tolerances when you upload to them, until after you order the ships. So I have a hefty credit with them that they won't refund, and several print issues that need to be tweaked. Even the tarsus - amazingly detailed for its size, has parts that are not practical, so I will have to tweak the model some - probably losing the dish from the top and closing off engine openings, while making it a tad fatter.

A little tip, if the tarsus model is anything like the buildings I have been 3d printing, cover it with PVA or something when you get it to make it more resilient, bits keep snapping of my models, the powder based stuff is so brittle.

Back