Some more Forstchenizm

In an odd bit of irony, that cameo goes both to Chris Roberts (who played the character) and Chris McCubbin, who Peter Telep named the character after. I mentioned that to both after the premiere. Nobody else noticed.

That still seems a little wierd, Blair could have disabled his scoops and easily beat the Snakeir because fighters have always had greater accelerations than capships, and turning off the scoops should only affect the terminal velocity. Maybe the initial velocity of the Snakeir was so great that he couldn't outrun it even though he was accelerating faster.

Let's not forget that Blair was running out of fuel. Running with full scoops closed would burn fuel at incredibly fast rates, while the ship wouldn't collect any fuel.

I don't know that it would burn fuel any faster. I'm assuming that the fighter would be exerting an equal amount of force with scoops closed or open, but with scoops open there would be a terminal velocity, with the scoops acting sorta like a parachute.

Running out of fuel, he probably wasn't able to use afterburners...

Actually, about that, what do you guys think fighters use for afterburner fuel, since it obviously isn't replenished by the scoops. Do (fusion powered) fighters maybe have a small supply of anti-protons that can be injected into the fusion core for boosts in thrust? That could work, and although more energy would be generated as well, more power would be needed to confine the plasma, which would explain why afterburners don't generate any additional energy to recharge weapons/shields.

To note, Blair had just made a jump in a small fighter... he probably had almost no onboard fuel -- which would have definately prevented him from flying with his scoops closed (and, of course, it saved his life as he could still maneuver when the Snakeir couldn't...)

Back