So what do you do when you get shot down?

Glabro

Spaceman
I was just wondering what you guys do usually, or what's the "norm" for play-throughs where you advance without retrying unless you face a game over or a campaign loss.

Do you just replay and ignore the death until you win (which of course eliminates the chance of seeing some losing paths), do you retry and eject (the bad part being that you can't get any kills and AFAIK there's no save editor to correct that?) or do you replay until you reach the spot where you died and then see if the squadron can complete the mission without you (you need to be quite far in order for the cats to not go after you)?

Just wondering, as I was shot down by the turret of the Ralatha in Episode 2 to my surprise...while my squadron would still have easily killed the Ralatha without me.

I was just wondering what you guys do usually, or what's the "norm" for play-throughs where you advance without retrying unless you face a game over or a campaign loss.

Do you just replay and ignore the death until you win (which of course eliminates the chance of seeing some losing paths), do you retry and eject (the bad part being that you can't get any kills and AFAIK there's no save editor to correct that?) or do you replay until you reach the spot where you died and then see if the squadron can complete the mission without you (you need to be quite far in order for the cats to not go after you)?

Just wondering, as I was shot down by the turret of the Ralatha in Episode 2 to my surprise...while my squadron would still have easily killed the Ralatha without me.

Not necessarily, I mean loss of your Wing Commander would cause a bit of a hit to morale and probably a little confusion until Cougar or whoever was next in line assumed command.

Maybe. Although it's not like I do anything but shoot fighters after the combat starts usually, they're pretty autonomous as is.

Usually I simply default to failing the mission, but in Standoff you're not the only one completing the mission unlike in all other WC games...

All the wingmen have auto-ejector seats, so why not me? ((Hmmm....why not, by the way? Would eliminate the question))

No they don't. They just all pres ctrl+E when they get badly hurt :D

No no they reach down and pull the ring, of course! Don't you read any of the novels? Cmon! :p

...which is simulated if the player wants to eject by the player hitting ctrl-E.

Hmmm. The problem is, the player doesn't get the chance to pull the ring when "badly hurt" ie. the time when the plane spins uncontrollably a while before exploding. Instead the player has to eject prematurely. Unfair!

Anyway, I'm still not sure how to proceed.

Back