SO Trouble

I don’t understand what happened. I was playing SO and installing the episodes as I got to them. Everything was working fine. Then I decided to restart to get to go down different paths and get the other passwords. But since I had the episodes installed already it wouldn’t show me the passwords.
Ok I thought I’ll just install another one into another directory and play on. I finish the first episode and get my password and installed the next episode but the game won’t continue. Just in case it’s installing into the first OS I remove it. But the game still won’t continue. WHY? It was working fine and now it’s not. I even removed BOTH SO’s and started from scratch but the game still wouldn’t continue into the first episode. The Prophecy Gold SO CD doesn’t give passwords either. What’s going wrong?? I set up a win 98 box just for this.

Thanks for your help

If you install episode 7 you can play through the whole game (any path) and it won't give you any passwords. The retail WCSO in the Prophecy Gold package doesn't have the password routine either. Its only purpose was delivering the online fiction at secretops.com, and that's gone. I don't know why you can't play through the episodes one by one anymore, but there is probably no point in doing so.

Thank you
I’m aware of that and I do have the offline fiction. No I’m not installing the last episode. I was doing each one as I got to it. There is a reason to do this for a project I’m working on. Unless you have a way to rip out the screen shot of the passwords then I have to play through it and thus I need to fix this problem.

You can try extracting the password screens and converting them to BMP if you're familiar with Treman and HCl's iff conversion tools. (Open the .tre files and look for "menu\splash*.iff")

Let me summarize: You have directory A, installed all Episodes there. Then you installed SO again into directory B. You Installed Episode 2, but are not sure wether it went into A or B. Then you deinstalled SO from A (or you just deleted the directory?). The you installed the Episode 2, but it still won't run?

If all the above is correct then I am not surprised it wont run. Try to deinstall ALL instances of SO (save the savegames if you like). Then install one instance. Copy the savegames back (optional). Now try installing the Episode again. I am 99% sure that SO is seriously confused by the double install as this is most likely to produce conflicting registry entries.

Yeah, I think the double-installation screwed things up. I'm not sure if reinstalling episode packs scales it back, but I'd have probably tried reinstalling over with the starter pack rather than a separate case. There's probably still lingering bits of it that you need to remove from the registry.

Yes there must be something lingering because, as I mentioned earlier, I uninstalled everything including saved game files, and started from scratch. I played the main missions, got the password, installed the first episode (at least it says it’s installed.), tryed to continue playing but the game will not continue. It acts like the episode was not installed.

I even unzipped both auto install’s to look at the date on the mission tree to see if they were different so that I would know if it was installed but they are the same. I think the file sixes were too. I’ll have to double check.

I just checked. The file sizes are the same size and have the same date for the Main game and episode one. (Strange) :confused:

Eder said:
You can try extracting the password screens and converting them to BMP if you're familiar with Treman and HCl's iff conversion tools. (Open the .tre files and look for "menu\splash*.iff")

I’m sorry but I’m not familiar with that. :confused: If somebody would send me all the slash screens I would be VERY grateful :D . I’m this || close to being done with the project and the rest I can do with the Prophecy Gold SO game. I’m trying to get this done before the WC Birthday so I can send it to Chris before the party.

Thanks
:)

What'd you do to fix it? If someone identified the registry keys that indicated what episode you were on, that's probably be helpful.

Shades2585 said:
I’m this || close to being done with the project and the rest I can do with the Prophecy Gold SO game. I’m trying to get this done before the WC Birthday so I can send it to Chris before the party.

Hopefully you don't literally mean just a few hours before the party. :)

ChrisReid said:
What'd you do to fix it? If someone identified the registry keys that indicated what episode you were on, that's probably be helpful.

I don't think such keys exist. SO just reads the missions.tre file.

ChrisReid said:
What'd you do to fix it?

I installed the main pack, episode one and two and now it's working fine.

ChrisReid said:
Hopefully you don't literally mean just a few hours before the party. :)

Not if I can help it. Assuming life doesn’t interfere I'll be spending a lot of this weekend trying to finish it up. Hopefully I’ll have most if it done and all I'll have to do is create the cover. Then I’m off to the finishing touches for the next WC project which is also pretty much done accept for taking some specific screen shots and doing some editing for the document. The first will probably be a 5MB PDF I’ll be sending you Chris. If that is ok? I’m not sure how big a file limitation you have.

That's probably too big for email, but we have specific arrangements for CIC contributions.

Back