Smoking Gun

Were the smoking guns in Iraq planted?

• Yes

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters
I thought that Russia started out on the Axis side?

The Lend/Lease program was more sort of Lease than lend, because Britain still had to pay for the equipment, vehicles and supplies (we we're still paying the debt back for some years after the war)

Originally posted by Oggy
I thought that Russia started out on the Axis side?

The Lend/Lease program was more sort of Lease than lend, because Britain still had to pay for the equipment, vehicles and supplies (we we're still paying the debt back for some years after the war)

They were not a part of the Axis, but they were allied with Nazi Germany. The Nazis also used soviety territory to train pilots and crew to bombers banned by the Versalles treaty. Later those bombers would be used to attack the CCCP.

Originally posted by Quarto
Delance, you do realise that CCCP is utterly meaningless in the Latin alphabet, right?

As does USSR in Cyrillic. CCCP is the transliteration of Cyrillic.

Err, no... SSSR would be the transliteration from Cyryllic. CCCP, on the other hand, is just taking the Cyryllic characters and using them without transliteration.

Well, who cares? We can right japanese names using latin alphabet too... Mariko Tanaka in japanese is not written like this.

Besides, when you see "USSR" written in Russian, it looks like CCCP, right? So who cares?

Heh, bet you said that just to evoke a reply from me, right? :) But I'll try and put an end to this arguement.

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW USSR IS SPELT IN LATIN OR CRYLLIC!!!!!!

Originally posted by Delance
Well, who cares? We can right japanese names using latin alphabet too... Mariko Tanaka in japanese is not written like this.
That's my point exactly. Using "CCCP" is basically like taking the Japanese signs that represent "Mariko Tanaka", and instead of transliterating them into Latin, just representing them with whatever Latin letter they happen to resemble.

Besides, when you see "USSR" written in Russian, it looks like CCCP, right? So who cares?
Well, I do :p. It gets on my nerves. Yeah, I know I'm being picky, but still, if you're gonna talk about the USSR, please spell it right.

But the soviet stuff was all labelled "CCCP", like the american is "USA". I don't understand why this would get you so upset.

Writing CCCP leads to situations similar to the one encountered by my old University president. At an address, he once described a trip he and his wife took to the Soviet Union. On leaving their hotel, he noted that the sign on his hotel said "Pectopah" (Peck-toh-pah).

Of course, people familiar with the Russian language already know how this story turns out. What he saw was "PECTOPAH", which is pronounced "Res-toh-rahn", and means "restaurant".

Soviet stuff had "CCCP" written on them. It's not a big conspiracy, but if makes you happy, I can write USSR or URSS (eng or port).

It had CCCP written on it because the people expected to read it knew Cryllic, not English. Dunno why the fact it had that written on it would be of any importance.
Similarly, the Lend Lease materials donated by the US to the Soviet Union during WW2 had the letters USA stenciled on them. Ignorant Soviet peasants thought that this stood for "Kill that sonofa***ch Adolf".

;)

We are not ignorant peasants, however. If someone has a japanese tatoo on his arm because they think it's cool, people shouldn't don't go complaining it's not translated to english.

Oh, this doesn't really upset me, it just amuses me. I mean, using "CCCP" in an English language conversation does make you appear ignorant... but all right, if that's the image of yourself that you wish to project :p.

Why? It's like complaining someone says Panzer instead of Tank, or Luftwaffe, instead of German Air Force.

No, because, you see, those are in the Latin script...

On a sidenote, yay. One successful derailing of an uninteresting and repetitive political thread achieved. Not that it will last, of course.

Back