"Skip"

Jason_Ryock

Vice Admiral
I'm working on a paper regarding some US Naval History, and I ran across an interesting reference to an officer of the US Navy in the days of 1800-1820 or somewhere in there named "Banbridge" and of course my mind immediatly jumped to Wing Commander.

Anyway, the questions I have are pretty basic. First, why is Wayne "Skip" Banbridge NOT listed in the encyclopedia (I understand it's impossible to list everything, and this is possibly an unintentional oversight) ? And secondly, what do we know of his family's military record?

I know alot of the time in WC with the high ranking officers like Tolwyn they give you a short summary of all the battles their ancestors fought in, according to the movie Tolwyn is even in possesion of a US Naval Academy Graduation Ring (I think that's what it was, anyway) and I was wondering if we ever saw similar information on good old Skip.

The enyclopedia has holes you could drive the Behemoth through ;) It is far far far from completed. Just look for Maniac. He is so unimportant he isn't even there ;)

I'm working on a paper regarding some US Naval History, and I ran across an interesting reference to an officer of the US Navy in the days of 1800-1820 or somewhere in there named "Banbridge" and of course my mind immediatly jumped to Wing Commander.

Close - William Bainbridge (Bain vs. Ban) is the American Naval hero - he fought during the war of 1812. (Commodore Bainbridge does get a WC reference - the cruiser TCS Bainbridge in the TPOF novel is named after him.)

Anyway, the questions I have are pretty basic. First, why is Wayne "Skip" Banbridge NOT listed in the encyclopedia (I understand it's impossible to list everything, and this is possibly an unintentional oversight) ? And secondly, what do we know of his family's military record?

I don't know why he isn't in the encyclopedia - though I think they're still working on that project.

We don't know anything about his family's military record. Heck, all we know about his geneology is that he's of North American anscestry and was born on a colony world.

I know alot of the time in WC with the high ranking officers like Tolwyn they give you a short summary of all the battles their ancestors fought in, according to the movie Tolwyn is even in possesion of a US Naval Academy Graduation Ring (I think that's what it was, anyway) and I was wondering if we ever saw similar information on good old Skip.

I don't believe we do - there's a pretty complete history of the Tolwyn family available from all the clues, but nothing really on Banbridge.

(Tolwyn had a 1941 USN Academy graduation ring in the movie.)

Bainbridge was commander of the USS Philidelphia during the war of 1812 and later the USS Constitution

Pity. That would have been rather interesting...and here I was thinking that maybe after five hours of research I had actually learned something interesting. =P

Thanks for that trivia about the ring.

Don't supposes anyone has an estimate for the number of non-carrier ships active in the Confederation during the War? They always mention the number of carriers, but never the number of any other ships (There is a reference, I believe, in Fleet Action to how many they can get online to defend Earth) and I've always wondered about the general makeup of the rest of the Confederation Fleet.

Other ship classes are produced much more easily than carriers - according to the Confed Handbook, there were thousands of each destroyer class.

The Encyclopedia doesn't have holes, it's just a few basic notes about a few characters so far.

So what's he get listed under, Wayne, Banbridge, or Skip?

And if he's of Northern American Ancestory, and this would be a strech, but hell, it's possible, then he COULD be descended from the original Banbridge?

Also, Admiral Nagomo from Action Stations, is that an intentional reference to Nagumo? (Not sure on the spelling for either of those, cept that they're damned similar)

I guess he'd be listed under ' Banbridge, Wayne "Skip" '

As for the descendance, we HAVE seen last named change over generations but I think here its about as likely as Ozzy Osbourne and Joan Osborne being siblings.

As Bill Forstchen pretty much took WW2 and changed some names around, I'd say a reference like that is certainly not unlikely.

Also, Admiral Nagomo from Action Stations, is that an intentional reference to Nagumo? (Not sure on the spelling for either of those, cept that they're damned similar)

Yes, there are several similar references (ie, WW2-era Japanese are the 'good guys' now) in AS... the one that pops to mind is that there's a TCS Soryu in the Confed fleet at McAuliffe.

Back