Simulator crash

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Got this one over email:

Greetings,
I have just downloaded the most recent version of Flight Commander and was successful in installing it, but I have two questions. When I go to start the flight sim mission (after selecting the ship I want to fly) the whole thing crashes, telling me there is a problem with the flight commander .exe and asking me if I want to report it. Can you help me out? I'm a Windows XP user with a nine month old laptop, an HP Pavilion dv4000, if that is any help.
I would also like to know how do you install "A Perfect Plan"?

A Perfect Plan? Thats genius. From this day forth, The Perfect Plan will be known as A Perfect Plan!

As for installing it you'll need a program with the ability to unzip a zip archive. You should already have one but if you can't open the file perfectplanalpha1point1full.zip then install 7-Zip.
7-Zip - http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z442.msi?download
A Perfect Plan - http://satamonline.sepwich.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=28

Open perfectplanalpha1point1full.zip and extract all the contents to you Flight Commander folder. Load Flight Commander and choose (The) Perfect Plan from the campaign menu.

I am running the version of Flight Commander found at the top of your website and I have not applyed any patches. Unfortunately, I do not have much experience with DOS or command lines and I do not know how to load Flight Commander in the method you have told me to. Can you tell me how to do load it through the commander line? The program is found in the "Program Files" folder and is displayed as an icon on my desktop. The target box in "Properties reads "C:\Program Files\Flight Commander 1.4\FlightCommander.exe" parameters

Start -> Run
Type in cmd (or commander or something)
cd\
cd program files
cd Flight Commander 1.4
flightcommander.exe

This is what got printed out.
Text to speech engine found.
Flight Commander 1.4
Graphics: Intel Intel 915GM
No point parameters
No point sprites
Generate mimap found
Texture compression found
S3TC texture compression found
Anisotropic texture filtering found
Swap control found
No cube mapping found
Joystick:Logitech Attack 3
No Force Feedback
Has throttle
No RZ axis
11 buttons
0 hats
Initialized 3d sound
DirectSound version: 9
Sound card: SoundMAX Digital Audio

Hmm, this one is going to be hard for me to debug, since I really don't have enough information. So does the bug happen when you start a campaign as well? Is it just the simulator that has the problem?

This bug happens when I start both the simulator and the campaigns. Also, when the program crashes back to Windows, I get a command line box with the same information I get when I start it, but with an additional line that reads "Script file mission_a1.lua not found." The "a1.lua" part is different depending on what mission I select; one read "a6.lua".

It is not the lua (script file) that is causing the problem, though. The engine is just stating that none was found. Could be a multitude of things wrong. This is just a fresh install of FC correct? You have made no edits what so ever?

Nothing. I downloaded a new copy of Flight Commander 1.4 and installed it. When I went to the sim, it started up and played one mission. I exited the program thinking my problem had solved itself, but when I reloaded it the same problem happened again.

Hello. I haven't heard from anyone regarding my problem with the sim and mission crashes lately. Is there anything I can do to help find out what is wrong? Thanks

Back