Similarities between WC and Space Above and Beyond?

Major_Chill

Spaceman
I know that this isn't strictly a WC topic, but I had a great love for Space Above and Beyond(SAAB), and was wondering if anyone else liked it. Plus I like to hear your views on things that happened within SAAB that would have been cool in WC.
:cool:

I was in love with SAAB and was pissed as could be when they canceled it. Other than having a battle group, carriers, and fighters with eject pods, there was little that was similar with the two story lines. The Chigs had a reason for the war on the human race after we defiled their sacred moon. The Kilrathi just seemed a randomly violent space faring race with a nasty homeplanet that made them that way. Besides, SAAB was about Marines who frequently did ground missions as well as flew combat missions. That doesn't match up with the main focus of the WC world for a simple reason. Though the WC plot DOES include Marines, the title is "WING Commander", denoting that it's about commanding a wing of fighter craft, an air force or naval task, not marine so much. That's the big point where the two skew in my view. Still, I love both series dearly.

Originally posted by Meson
You should wait for the TV show to start this topic. :)

Who would play the young brash blair? and how about the young tolwyn? and tom wilson is getting old too.......who would play who?

Er, the Kilrathi did have a pretty good reason for starting the war with the humans. You know, the Prophecy? The Kilrathi believed that unless they took on ad defeated all comers, it would mean end of all life as we know it.

Best, Raptor

Don't get me wrong I dearly loved SAAB and except for being a war in space I don't see many simalarities. My only problem with SAAB was pilots doing ground work, now I don't know how much trouble it is to train a pilot but I know the Infantry requires less training and has high casulty potential in a war(they tell you that when you sign up) and I personally would'nt want pilots being Infantry or commandoes.And I recall a statement from the Kilrathi about those not of the blood must be defeated

Originally posted by Meson
You should wait for the TV show to start this topic. :)

what? theres going to be a TV show, i've not checked the board recently due to work, when did this TV show stuff start, and has it been confirmed or is it just a rumour?

SAAB was a cool program, (although the ending was a bit naff) I especially loiked the one with the chig ace in the experimental fighter, if there is to be a Wing commander TV series I look foward to seeing how the develpoers do it, using SAAB as a precedent, i think the developers will do well.

Originally posted by Raptor
Er, the Kilrathi did have a pretty good reason for starting the war with the humans. You know, the Prophecy? The Kilrathi believed that unless they took on ad defeated all comers, it would mean end of all life as we know it.

Best, Raptor

Erm......Are you a Kilrathi? And if so, why are you refering to your people in Third and First person at the same time? ;)

Talking about a TV series at this point is stupid, Meson. There's been nothing more than talk of the inkling of an idea of a theory of a rumor of a possibility of a chance of an idea of it even being considered.

Nothing has been written, no one has been cast, no contracts with anyone have been signed.

Saying anything about this damned TV series is like me calling up by buddy at NYU to hook me up with Anna Paquin. It's just farfetched nonsense.

While that was a well though out and thurough response, really we shouldnt get any hopes up if there isnt any evidence of the show being developed. Is there something I have missed?

SAAB Ruled

I miss SAAB!

As for similarities, I can only think of the space battles & stuff. Other than that, the two series veer off and go their own ways. Besides, SAAB was about Marines.

i did like SAAB, especially the first double-episode and then after a while there were a lot of ground missions and then when it was being shown later and later on australian tv i just lost interest..... the space combat sequences were good though!

if there was a WC tv series it would have to be animated, whether cartoon or CG simply because it would otherwise be too expensive to be any good! and i would also love to have the original actors as the voices like in WCATV! when i first saw that i was soooo excited, i couldnt believe WC was still alive! anyway, thats my two cents.

SAAB was good, but also had it's flaws. WC is great, not without minor flaws either mind you. However to bse a WC tv show on SAAB model would be wrong and ill concieved. First off on a fundamental level Two shows have a lot of differences. A WC show shouln't be a SAAB clone. It would need to break new groung while remaining true to the games and universe we love.
But yes they could consider what elements of SAAB were successful and which were not. After all, just because you or I liked the show, the truth is that apparently it didn't jive with the average viewer, thus the studios pulled the plug so to speak. Is that what you want to immitate?

AD

Originally posted by Zor Prime

Erm......Are you a Kilrathi? And if so, why are you refering to your people in Third and First person at the same time? ;)

An urfortunate side effect of the personality overlay that allows me to infiltrate human society and work to destroy you from within. :D

Best, Raptor

If a WC show is going to survive it needs to be in syndication, not on one of the the network's main line ups. Put it on with Andromeda or on the scifi channel. Then it will have a much better chance of remaining on the air.

A lot of show don't get the chance to air initialy in syndication. And given the "success" of the WC movie, it would probably be hard to find a major network to shell out that kind of support right off the bat. Other TV shows have, after destinguishing themselves and proving their potential, have been syndicated. Stargate sg-1 comes to mind. In the mean time we would need to keep in mind that a few awesome effects are better than a lot of OK ones. And that Incomprehensible action as opposed to well scripted plot driven action often just leaves the viewer numb and iritated, not to mention confused.
And please, please spare some of the cheap effects and splurge on a gifted screen writer who will come up with snappy, razor sharp dialogue free of cliches.

-AD

Back