Showdown - Space Combat

ELTEE

Vice Admiral
So I've caught a few of the Military Channel's Showdown: Air Combat episodes recently and while some of the show is a little basic, seeing restored warplanes in the air engaging one another is definitely neat.

It got me thinking about what a version of this show set in the Wing Commander universe would be like. I can envision Tom Wilson playing Maniac as the host, taking the viewer through famous dogfight recreations with restored 'vintage' Kilrathi War era spacecraft. The show's 'studio' would obviously be the Victory, and Maniac would certainly be making fun of all of the cat aces and totally trashing any of the human pilots as well - basically just saying he would have done better in every situation.

"This week on the Confederation channel: Join fighter pilot Todd 'Maniac' Marshall as he takes you on a wild ride in a Dralthi Mk. II recreating one of the most dangerous and classified missions the great hero Commodore Blair flew in the Kilrathi war..."

I have always wanted to do the Wing Commander equivalent of a Ken Burns' documentary, on the Kilrathi War. Someday...

So I've caught a few of the Military Channel's Showdown: Air Combat episodes recently and while some of the show is a little basic, seeing restored warplanes in the air engaging one another is definitely neat.

It got me thinking about what a version of this show set in the Wing Commander universe would be like. I can envision Tom Wilson playing Maniac as the host, taking the viewer through famous dogfight recreations with restored 'vintage' Kilrathi War era spacecraft. The show's 'studio' would obviously be the Victory, and Maniac would certainly be making fun of all of the cat aces and totally trashing any of the human pilots as well - basically just saying he would have done better in every situation.

"This week on the Confederation channel: Join fighter pilot Todd 'Maniac' Marshall as he takes you on a wild ride in a Dralthi Mk. II recreating one of the most dangerous and classified missions the great hero Commodore Blair flew in the Kilrathi war..."

This reminds me of the "Black Sheep Squadron" show that Pappy Boyington got all behind and evidently had very little to do with actual history or the real squadron. Come to think of it, Maniac has alot in common with Pappy Boyington.

Back