Should Collisions Cause Anger

Should Collisions Make the person you smacked mad at you?

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • 1 % penalty if shields up 10% penalty if shields down

• 2% if shields up 20% if shields down

• Total voters

hellcatv

Swabbie
Banned
Many people have complained that they would nudge something or someone and get attacked for it...

I remember in the original privateer smashing into a stiletto hurt my relationship with confed so much that I couldn't end up repairing it even after killing dozens of pirates...

Do you think the Remake should adjust relationship for everytime a unit smashes into a ship, or only if that smack causes a ship's demise.

I think your memory of the original game may be a little flawed -- ramming into a ship does not effect your relationship with a faction.

I just plowed a Tarsus into a Broadsword four times and it stayed blue.

thanks for looking that one up...well I did ram the stiletto while near palan, doing the hunter missions--and it could well have been a bug...because I could not get confed's relationship back until I hacked it

I spent at least 3 hours pressing '3' and another 6 hours killing every pirate and kilrathi I could find (and some i took from missions)

this eventually caused me to stop playing the original privateer...until I hacked the savegame...which made it less fun somehow than doing it the "real man's way" ;-)

Yeah, sounds like some kind of error.

I'll have my WC machine up and running for two more days, if you need anything specific checked out.

Perhaps a broadsword was the wrong ship to try it on. Did you get through its shields at all? My recollection was that ramming a ship enough to damage armor would get it mad. I'll certainly go try it out now, but if my memory holds, then it should anger NPCs if they take damage. I'll report back in a bit, a reboot is necessary :(

Now confirmed, ramming a militia gladius made him angry. It was hardly incidental contact though, I had to hit him twice and damage his armor (and my cockpit instruments in the process)

Thus: we leave it, though perhaps tweaking it to be harder to trigger.

Ramming ships hard enough to cause armour damage is certainly a way to make them hostile. But it shouldn't affect your status with factions until the ship in question is destroyed.

Yes if you damage the ship. No if you only take down its shields.
I'm not going to vote in the poll, I guess...

It's a bit difficult to judge when other ships become hostile. I think if you nudge a Paradigm enough times it will become hostile even if its armour is intact.

Ok I changed how things are...
it used to be every collide and every blaster shot cost the player 12 relation points with that particular ship (and 1/10 that with the faction as a whole, 1.2)
now it's simpler

every blaster shot will cost 1% of the relationship with that particular ship... unless the shields are down where it'll cost 10% of the relationship...

I've needed to collide many times with perry to get some furor to go on ;-) ;-)

So, generally a fighter will need to have its armor damaged before it starts getting pissed, but if you bump a large ship enough (even if you can never hope to take out its shields) it will get mad too. Sounds about right then from what weknow and remember of the original.

I would take more offense to 'friendly fire' than a collision, although I suppose any competent pilot should be able to avoid collisions. Then again, I'm thinking of a non-combat environment. During combat, things become very hectic and disorganised, so I suppose friendly fire/collisions might have a reduced effect on status.

Anyway, I suppose tweaking the settings would depend on whether your goal is to emulate Privateer or to try to create realistic and sensible responses.

Well we're looking at doing both items... Vega Strike and Wing Commander Universe are certainly trying to be the most sensible.
Privateer Remake is trying to be the most similar

Back