Ships...

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Being a bit of an admited sci-fi nut, I'm pretty impressed with the concept designs I've seen for the space ships and other futuristic technology present in the Outlander universe. It's pretty cool that they got the people that designed the ships in the star wars prequels (Ian Mcaig and Ryan Church for starters along with quite a few of the other Ninth Ray people) to create concepts for the film.
Plus, the fellows at mondolithic studios who helped translate the the concepts to a 3D format the effects artists could work with are themselves very reknowned futurists. If you are familiar with the magazine Popular Science I can almost guarantee you've seen their work. I'm really keen on seeing this work translated to film. I also think that potentially the meeting of the raw, brutal technology of the vikings will make for a interesting contrast in theme and function to Kainan's future tech in the story.

(Also, I haven't added this to the website, but apparently one of the effects scenes in the movie involves five spacecraft hunting down Moorwen (plural) on an alien planet.)

Being a bit of an admited sci-fi nut, I'm pretty impressed with the concept designs I've seen for the space ships and other futuristic technology present in the Outlander universe. It's pretty cool that they got the people that designed the ships in the star wars prequels (Ian Mcaig and Ryan Church for starters along with quite a few of the other Ninth Ray people) to create concepts for the film.
Plus, the fellows at mondolithic studios who helped translate the the concepts to a 3D format the effects artists could work with are themselves very reknowned futurists. If you are familiar with the magazine Popular Science I can almost guarantee you've seen their work. I'm really keen on seeing this work translated to film. I also think that potentially the meeting of the raw, brutal technology of the vikings will make for a interesting contrast in theme and function to Kainan's future tech in the story.

(Also, I haven't added this to the website, but apparently one of the effects scenes in the movie involves five spacecraft hunting down Moorwen (plural) on an alien planet.)

It feels wierd replying to myself, but even without having really seen the entire film myself yet (Grrrrrr you Weinsteins!) however we do get a neat yet brief glimpse of some of the space ships hunting down Moorwen in the Trailer. Plus there's the somewhat Iconic crash sequence featured in the trailer that starts with Sophia Myles' narration. There's also a brief glimpse of Kainan's sunken ship in there as well (he crashed into a lake or Fjord or something.... it was filmed at a lake though).

As is the case with most of the rest of the trailer, It's pretty fantastic how much it resembles the great concept art.

A curious comment I saw online was that someone kind of thought the ship crashing reminded him of Thor's hammer crashing to earth.. I don't really see it myself but I guess the ship sort of has that shape in a top down profile. It's entirely possible it's intentional but I haven't heard that mentioned specifically.

A number of people seems to feel the opening (I guess the crashing in a lake part) is similar to Planet of the apes but I think that's stretching it a bit really.

The ships look well-designed.
Anyway, the running of Kainan's crash-landing is beautiful. The colors are amazing as the parts of the spaceship blow up in the air. When the ship impacts into a lake that makes me remember to Wolf's landing in Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem.

I hope that we will know why Kainan's ship sets ablaze in the space. Okay, I know it's because of the Moorwen but I want to to know as well what the Moorwen does onboard.

Back