Ships of the Animated Series: Bengal (September 23, 2004)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
We started looking at Wing Commander Academy ships because I wanted to catalogue all the many turrets which appear on the Tiger's Claw in Wing Commander Academy. Now, at long last, the armament can be revealed -- and it's very heavy! Thirty five dual laser turrets, six triple laser turrets and a single single laser turret. The Bengal-class may be the most well defended ship in Wing Commadnder history. Two Bengals appear in the animated series - the TCS Tiger's Claw (CV-07) in episodes two through thirteen and the TCS Trafalgar in "Chain of Command." You can more about the Bengal's history here.

--
Original update published on September 23, 2004

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had to face that version in a Wing Commander Game, it would be nearly impossible to attack, let alone fire a torpedo at.... :eek:

I like the Academy version of the Claw better than the WC1 version. It just makes more sense to have an enclosed hangar rather than the open one. I remember the all too many times the Concordia couldn't launch fighters because the deck was constantly being destroyed. :rolleyes:

it's probably is the most heavily armed ship we have solid data on for Confed, the only thing probably heavier armed are the battlewagons from the start of the war...

Nonetheless if that Claw was portrayed in the games, the Claw really would be what it claims to be, a ship that can operate independently. Hell, it probably doesn't even have to be that sneaky about it, it's guns could probably even give a heavy cruiser a run for their money.

Makes you think that the point defense auto lasers would of been able to kill at least a few of the torps that those Strakha's launched....

Sylvester said:
Makes you think that the point defense auto lasers would of been able to kill at least a few of the torps that those Strakha's launched....

Must have caught them when everyone was asleep.....or on Night Watch

I don't think a) they had "auto lasers" or b) auto lasers would know to watch for torpedoes appearing from nowhere.

I was referring to auto targeting cannons. This is the 27th century, I'm sure all the weaponry wouldn't need to be manually controlled any more.

Sylvester said:

That depends on whether the point-defence autosystems were turned on, and whether they were configured for engaging targets that appeared out of nowhere. :)

The Wing Commander IV novel claims that computer automated turrets aren't effective at actually shooting down enemy fighters.

It's amazing how technology decreases in the future. I mean, modern aircraft carriers have automated vulcan guns to shoot down fighters. Must be the fact a laser cannon doesn't have the refire rate of a machine gun.

Exarch said:
It's amazing how technology decreases in the future. I mean, modern aircraft carriers have automated vulcan guns to shoot down fighters. Must be the fact a laser cannon doesn't have the refire rate of a machine gun.
That way lies madness... if you start thinking about things like that, you'll soon be wondering why fighters in WC even have pilots. We simply have to accept that WC is world war II in space, and leave it at that ;).

Exarch said:

The problem may be that the autoguns are meant to handle point-defence against torpedoes, which have predictable flight paths, unlike fighters, which certainly don't fly in predictable paths.

The angular boat-like front somewhat reminds of Argo/Yamato from Star Blazers. Cool, anyway.

The form is very similar to the WC1 Claw, but there are very different details.

Back