She's A Kuiper (June 19, 2006)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Antman has continued work on his Kuiper engine, first reported here, and now has some screenshots to show for it. Kuiper is a 3D engine based on Microsoft's Allegiance space sim game. Antman says: "The past few months have brought huge overhauls and updates to Kuiper and it's flight engine. Joysticks now work flawlessly in Kuiper, with full dead zone and sensitivity support. The explosion and particle systems have also been overhauled, with explosions no longer causing a drastic loss of FPS due to fill rate issues." Cool beans.

--
Original update published on June 19, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it me of does the second pic looks very darK? Other than that I think it looks really good

If someone from the WC Saga team thinks it's dark, then I won't argue. :)

It's supposed to be some effect with the sun at the thing's back.

Yes but you can alter FS to be very light :)

Just as long as its not always like that, thats okay.

The second pic is dark because technically the sun is to the opposite of the ship -- there is nothing to illuminate the carrier on that side.

To correct LOAF -- Kuiper is not a 3d engine, Kuiper is a flight engine and a game that is built onto the Torque Game Engine (more precisely, the Torque Shader Engine).

It is not based on Allegiance in any way accept that I am using the gameplay of Allegiance as inspiration.

And I suppose that if you wanted, you could raise the ambient light.... but then what is the point of directional light then? :)

To correct LOAF -- Kuiper is not a 3d engine, Kuiper is a flight engine and a game that is built onto the Torque Game Engine (more precisely, the Torque Shader Engine).

Good point, we don't care.

Bandit LOAF said:
Good point, we don't care.

-Shrugs-, just thought that it was an important point, otherwise the people who actually made the renderer/object backing (GarageGames) don't get due credit.

Speaking strictly as someone who isn't a stupid internet jerk, it isn't important at all and doesn't even make sense.

Althought this isn't slashdot, as a software developer, I find it interesting to note what game engine and toolset(s) are being used to make this.

Just making sure Software Developers != stupid internet jerks ;)

Oh, no, Antman's just a world class jerkhole -- no matter how we phrased our update he'd have had some entirely pointless clarification.

Back