Shadow of the Colossus

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
So after seeing all the great reviews for this game and seeing a little bit of my friend playing it, I decided to use my Target gift card and purchase it today. I killed three Colossi, then quit, angry that I spent my money on it. Is this a natural first time response to playing the game? If anyone here played it, how did you take to it?

Why were you angry at it exactly? Too easy?

I've taken a break from console gaming since I got my PC this year. I've been playing catch up on the last 5 years of games and have some pretty difficult games if you want a recommendation.

Well I've only killed 3 out of 16 Colossi so I can't comment on the difficulty (although once you figure out the controls and the way to kill the beasts they're a snap). It just felt repetitive and boring after three fights, and if feels that way THIS soon, I just have reservations about continuing.

Edit: Oh and I would love to hear some console recommendations.

I heard fantastic things about Shadow of the Colossus and the demo was impressive. I couldn't figure out how to defeat the damn thing but it was very pretty and interesting before that.

I'm not sure about console recommendations. The last game I really, really enjoyed was Metal Gear Solid 3 - which is unusual considering I thought MGS was only okay and MGS2 to be awful. MGS3 has it's flaws (awful self-referencing humor is the biggest problem) but it's overall immensely satisfying, with a finale that made me almost make in my greys.

I heard good things about the newest Prince Of Persia game, but I never beat PoP2 because the main character was "too Hot Topic" for my tastes and lost interest quick.

PC Games are easier for me since they're more fresh in memory. I enjoyed Republic Commando immensely - even if LOAF aptly put it as "Halo In Star Wars". I don't like Halo but I loved RC. I also loved Homeworld 2 and Chronicles Of Riddick; Freelancer isn't half bad either.

In SotC's defense, the game really picks up steam once you reach the fifth Colossus. It's then becomes far more difficult (which translates into entertainment to me) to even get onto the Collosi to kill them.

Really, the first three are the most mundane of the bunch.

Yeah I came back to it tonight and am now on the fifth Colossus. Now that it is becoming more difficult to find out how to grab the beasts it has become more challenging and fun. I still do not think that it lives up to it's various "9+" ratings this game seems to be receiving on video game sites.

Back