Seether and Orlando Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, Seether only had to be there a minute or so ahead of them. . . the dogfight accounts for that much, easily. Plus the pirates. Done.

I don't think Seether's Afterburner's could hold up that long. For simplicity's sake, let's say Orlando is 108000 Kilometers away.(I say this because of 216000 seconds in a day).

Traveling at 500 Meters/s(What i tend to believe is a more believeable unit of speed for WC), faster than an F-86A By 80, it would still take approximately 24 hours to get to Orlando. (0.5 KPS, of course). Now, Orlando is a lot farther, and we've all done autopilot distances close to 1,000,000. Afterburners hold up for a few minutes, tops. Seether could've easily gained 45 minutes on them, but the Avenger is much slower than a Hellcat, so that extra 100 (Assuming Avenger is 320, I can't remember) would not make a difference, and Blair and Maniac woulda passed Seether.

Using KPS and Adding 3 Zeros to the distance will have the same effect, too.

ChanceKell said:
If a station could be so easily destroyed by one fighter, I wouldn't think that they were that big

Hey, if an Avenger can destroy the Lexington, then one can destroy a fairly large station. Remember that it only takes two torps to down the Lex in the game, and the Avenger carries four.

Dammerung said:
I don't think Seether's Afterburner's could hold up that long. For simplicity's sake, let's say Orlando is 108000 Kilometers away.(I say this because of 216000 seconds in a day).

Um, there's 86,400 seconds in a day, not 216,000 seconds. Anyway, we're forgetting about scoops-closed travel. Given that the Avenger can probably carry more fuel than the Hellcat, then perhaps Seether could have accelerated longer after closing his scoops (which would balance out the Avenger's lower acceleration).

ourchair said:
Perhaps the stupidest but most loophole free explanation would be that the GE Program produced 2 Seethers? :p

Interesting, but then why would Seether later remember having done both acts (the bar fight and bombing the depot)?

Traveling at 500 Meters/s(What i tend to believe is a more believeable unit of speed for WC),

You believing doesn't make it so. :) At 500 m/s, it would take the shuttle in the WC4 intro something like 18,000 years to travel from Jupiter to L5. :) The "hot dog" comment made the conversation seem painfully long, but not that long. :)

Dammerung said:
It just... doesn't seem right, ya know =P And fsck, I knew there was a hole in that somewhere.

It's quite right though. There is noth ing Physics that says that they couldn't travel at 500 kps. THe only limit is the speed of light and that is 299,792 kps. WC ships rarely go over 10,000 kps, even with scoops closed. There is enough room for everything.

Or, perhaps Blair and Maniac walked really slowly to the hellcats. Perhaps stopped by a brothel. I'm sure they'd have left mention of that out of the book for obvious reasons.

Or, maybe Seether, flying a Borderworlds craft, had a couple JATO bottles. For use as afterburners, though.

Um... would this discussion qualify as nitpicking? Does anyone recall how Hobbes reached the berths on the Victory before Maverick even got to the Rec Room?

How old is Todd by WCP? Weren't he and Blair roughly the same age? But, Maniac, for all of his hard living, still looks surprisingly young. Go figure, huh?

Bandit LOAF said:
Funny, the writers have specifically told me to blame Hamill and not them for it. :)

If Hamill improv'd it, I'll spit a leopard.

Funny - I'm drawing a complete blank about this hotdog thing. Does anyone know the exact quotes surrounding the situation?

Right before Blair and Maniac jump into the Sol System to hook up with the Lexington in dry dock the dialouge goes something like:

Maniac (in reference to Seether's attack on a station and his patented "mine-riding" move) You catch that guy back there? And you call me a hotdog?

Blair: That wasn't hot-dogging Maniac. That was the move of a true master.

It's VERY badly delivered on Hamill's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back