Seether and Orlando Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ijuin

Admiral
Something has been bugging me about Seether's attack on the Orlando Depot at the start of WC4.

In the bar, Seether departs just before Maniac and Blair, yet he is able to get to Orlando and destroy it right before their eyes. Now, Seether was flying an Avenger while Blair and Maniac were flying Hellcats, which are significantly faster. I seriously doubt that the short fight between Blair and Maniac and the Razor fighters caused a sufficient delay to allow Seether to get ahead of them, and I also doubt that he could have flown that great a distance on afterburner. So the question remains, how did Seether, in a slow Avenger, get to Orlando ahead of Blair and Maniac, flying faster Hellcats, given that they departed the Nephele II spaceport at approximately the same time?

What makes you think they departed at the same time ? I suppose they must have had to pickup some things at Blair's home and/or follow some military procedure (sign some papers or something) for Blair to be allowed to use a military fighter (he's retired at that point, remember ?), etc. etc.

Hmm... Blair's actually a reservist, so it shouldn't be that hard. And he gave away the farm and all his stuff right after he talked to Maniac (G)

Still, I don't see it as much of an error -- I'm sure Maniac and Blair weren't rushing to get to Orlando... whereas Seether may have set up a minor delay for them (the Razors) and then afterburned to the station.

Bandit LOAF said:
Hmm... Blair's actually a reservist, so it shouldn't be that hard. And he gave away the farm and all his stuff right after he talked to Maniac (G)

Still, I don't see it as much of an error -- I'm sure Maniac and Blair weren't rushing to get to Orlando... whereas Seether may have set up a minor delay for them (the Razors) and then afterburned to the station.

Makes perfect sense to me, although for some reason it makes me giggle. It's almost as if Seether's some mischievous Calvin-like kid.

To illustrate:

Seether at the Bar: "Whoa! It's the ----ing Heart of the Tiger! I gotta show him MAH mooooves!"

Seether in his Avenger over the comm: "Dude! Guys! The Heart of the Tiger is like, on his way! Could you send a buncha Razors and slow him down a bit? I gotta blow some stuff up so I can show him my cool moves!"

Seether at Orlando: "What you see before you now, Colonel, is one of what will be many victories for the Border Worlds!"

Seether to himself: "I'm so cool!"

Anyway, it's also not entirely unsound that Seether could've taken a faster ship near Orlando and then switched fighters before he made his attack. Heck, he could've probably taken a fighter from Orlando itself. He probably has high levels of access (covertly) within Confed.

It's also possible that Seether was flying a Lance superfighter which was camouflaged to look like an Avenger.

It could also be that he jumped in and waited for them to show up. IIRC he jumped out, too. Last I checked your vanilla hellcat can't jump on it's own.

We know he didn't jump in, though, as we see him at the Cantina right before we leave for the depot.

TheFraix said:
It's also possible that Seether was flying a Lance superfighter which was camouflaged to look like an Avenger.

Wait a minute... Confed can never seem to master cloaking technology but now they have devices capable of disguising the appearance of a ship into another one altogether?

Well... the simple answer is that there's no indication anywhere that they have devices like that. :)

(They do, however, seem to have mastered cloaking by the time of WC4...)

t.c.cgi said:
It could also be that he jumped in and waited for them to show up. IIRC he jumped out, too. Last I checked your vanilla hellcat can't jump on it's own.

You're forgeting one of the coolest moves in the WC universe that the games don't let us play. He didn't jump, he used a flashpack-esque explosion to give his ship a power-boost.

I was about to say, he could've done his mine-surfing trick to get there ahead of them. He'd have even had time to lock on those two missiles (I assume they're torpedoes?) and held the lock for a short time until Blair and Marshall showed up in their hellcats to say "Aww, dammit! Now we gotta find another confed station in this system to land on. Good thing that Confed regularly puts more than one station in a system, huh?"

If a station could be so easily destroyed by one fighter, I wouldn't think that they were that big. It was a depot, after all. Probably minimal crew and defenses to act as a refueling platform.

Well . . true, I suppose. "Orlando Depot". But, Bluepoint is a station. "Nav computer's picked up Bluepoint Station . . " And, they looked the same to me.

Don't forget Maverick and Maniac were having a nice dog fight that could have taken a while depending on who was playing.

ChanceKell said:
If a station could be so easily destroyed by one fighter, I wouldn't think that they were that big. It was a depot, after all. Probably minimal crew and defenses to act as a refueling platform.

To quote Maniac witnessing the destruction:

"Three thousand people on that crate, and they just--!"

From that line I would assume that Orlando usually has a staff of about 3,000 personnel.

A pair of maces and/or torpedoes would make short work of pretty much anything (G)

Yeah, they look the same. But Origin has a way of not having a variety of craft in the games.

Gotta disagree in the case of WCIV -- Origin did a great job of putting in 'background' models... Look at how many stations there are: the depot, the factory, the spacelab, the superbase, the comm relay, the drydock complex... WC4 had no lack of space stations.

Don't forget Maverick and Maniac were having a nice dog fight that could have taken a while depending on who was playing.

There's a time limit (G)

Just a suggestion/question, can you mini-jump in Nephele System like you can in Firekka, that could be an explaination for Seethers getting there ahead of Blair and Maniac. Anyway even you can't mini-jump, Seether could have easily put the Avenger in a partial-burn setting we've seen in the novels. This could put an Avenger at around 500kps. Blair and Maniac wouldn't exactly be booking it to get to the Depot either, they would probably cruise at 300-350kps instead of maxing out the Hellcat at 420kps, leaving plenty of time for Seether to do his thing.

C-ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back