Seed of Privateer 1.0pre

hellcatv

Swabbie
Banned
We have finally concocted what we believe to be the final version of privateer remake.
There are some caveats.
a) needs testing...to make sure we didn't screw something up at all. (i.,e. the missing files of 0.9a,b)
b) because of (a) we're only offering it to a select few who are willing to actually report bugs to us isntead of complaining about them 2 months later when it's been public for a while
c) the compression technology is lossless--and hence the download size is almost unspeakable... we're working on improving that before making it available to the public as 1.0 (to spare both solsector bandwidth and yours)

all windows problems we know of except the sometimes-female pirate in Beta have been addressed. and that's how it will remain as far as we know.

If you are interested in receiving a pre1.0 (which could become 1.0 aside from compression issues) and you will be one of the select few that will actively report bugs, etc post here with either your e-mail address, or as a forum account that can receive a private message. The url will be given out in this manner.

only windows available so far

but do note that the linux release doesn't have too many features different from 1.0

Anyway:
- Is the repair system functional?
- The AI of the turrets?
- The "Talon" problem (too many & too powerful)?

(Right thread!!!)

turret AI same, repair system same
talon problem fixed quite nicely i believe

I now call talon:
2 missile wonder!

Thus, if I've understood well, the turrets fire at my enemy and the repair system repair what if broken, right?
But the "2 missile wonder"...?

ilricca said:
Thus, if I've understood well, the turrets fire at my enemy and the repair system repair what if broken, right?
But the "2 missile wonder"...?

Y'gotta read the units.csv file. 2 Missile wonder is appropriate.

Still dodges in out and around, but it doesn't seem to be the wunderkind of the baddies anymore.

one bug found :

if afterburning when landing (holding tab), the afterburn sound persists when landed (not every time tho)...

also, we still need a % damaged indicator in ship upgrade screen.
and a similar thing in flight so you can watch the repair droid do its thing.

-scheherazade

scheherazade0xf said:
one bug found :

if afterburning when landing (holding tab), the afterburn sound persists when landed (not every time tho)...

also, we still need a % damaged indicator in ship upgrade screen.
and a similar thing in flight so you can watch the repair droid do its thing.

-scheherazade

I heartily concur with that. Afterburner flake has been around since 09b and I THINK it's a buffer release/dump problem. It's on the FX side of things. You need some speech to wipe it out. Talk at a bartender to kill it. If you recorded a simple blank half second of sound for the FX you could permanently do away with the problem as a work-around. You'll have to initiate it immediately before or immediately after you initiate the base music. A simple call to a dummy file, basically. All you need is the WAV or OOG header, start and end calls, no sound at all. Let me see if I can whip one up for you.

ANd how do you know if it's armour or hull you damaged? Later in the game it doesn't much matter, but early on when you're scraping for each hundredth of a credit that stuff gets EXPENSIVE to replace after a shoot-em up. And to do it as a matter of operations, well, that does SEEM to have gotten better and easier, but still. . .

doesn't matter what it was, it should just be indicated. if anything as a colour code. white=ok, red(proportion)=damaged, gray=destroyed

in any case, i'll look into the code and try to put in an explicit repair button that jsut sells what is damaged and buys a new one of it (just to simplify procedure, and is more noob-friendly)

and maybe modify it to just straight up repair by Fn (price = (reaminderHP/newHP) * new$). that way its actually cheaper than sell/buy to replace something.

-scheherazade

empty_file.wav

I sent you a file for you to try. It's a simple wav file that I cut the sound out of. Basically I took the file interface_nav.wav and cut out its contents. It was the smallest and among the quietest of all the files. Maybe that will kill the noise? You can use it like you do a blank gif or jpg in web building. A SPACER, trace etc. . .

scheherazade0xf said:
doesn't matter what it was, it should just be indicated. if anything as a colour code. white=ok, red(proportion)=damaged, gray=destroyed

in any case, i'll look into the code and try to put in an explicit repair button that jsut sells what is damaged and buys a new one of it (just to simplify procedure, and is more noob-friendly)

and maybe modify it to just straight up repair by Fn (price = (reaminderHP/newHP) * new$). that way its actually cheaper than sell/buy to replace something.

-scheherazade

Oooh that sounds like a dream

another bug

when you jump, repeatedly hitting 'j' uses up jump-fuel-quanta

even though you're in the process of one jump.

you can use up all your jump fuel if you tap it a bunch...

-scheherazade

another bug

i took 3 missions

1, cargo mission from bar
2, cargo from mission comp
3, cargo from mission comp

did mission 1, completed at midgard

after i took off, it said 'jump to new constantinople' for missions 2,3.

that is an impossible jump from midgard

i have a save of it, i sent it to your email account daniel.

-scheherazade

old bug still there

when you view something, i.e. external camera on it, it tends to spin wildly till you tell the camera to move, from then on it will stand still when you're not telling it to move.

-scheherazade

also, only tarsus is availale to buy?
limited selection of guns?

-scheherazade

Repair, Advanced, AI. . .Still not working. 10 minutes since I managed to get my pretty bird all shot up and it's still flashing at me. Original Game would have had me fixed by now. Except armour and guns, that is.

eh', scrap the guns comment, i remembered they were scattered across different base types.

-scheherazade

scheherazade0xf said:
eh', scrap the guns comment, i remembered they were scattered across different base types.

-scheherazade
As are ships. You might have to fly around a bit to find the one you're looking for.

Back