Secret Ops Installation Help

I downloaded the full install for Secret Ops, and have the following problem:

I run the secretopsfull.exe and it goes through the unpacking of the .tre files, then the launcher pops up. I click on install, and choose the default directory (I've also even tried changing the directory) and then it tells me "Bytes free: 96,763,904, Bytes required: 137,188,373 Please choose another drive or free more space"

This is laughably impossible considering I have a 160 gig hd with over 76 gigs free. I am running windows 2000 pro, and can't get the thing to install right.

If anyone can help I would be very appreciative...I've been having Wing Commander withdrawals for a few years now and I am itching to play this game! :)

Kyle

This is why I get so mad when people drop by to let everyone know they fixed it without telling people what they did. Try creating the directories outside of the launcher and then going in and telling the game to install there.

I am having this same problem now. I tried the above suggestion (if I am understanding correctly what I should do). Here is what I did...

1. I started Windows Explorer and created the directory C:\Origin Systems\Secret Ops.

2. I popped in the Secret Ops CD and let auto-run fire up the installer.

3. I clicked "Install".

4. I clicked "Change Directory" and chose the new directory I created in step 1.

5. I clicked "OK" and got the same error. "Not enough drive space".

What am I doing wrong?

Unregistered said:
I am having this same problem now. I tried the above suggestion (if I am understanding correctly what I should do). Here is what I did...

1. I started Windows Explorer and created the directory C:\Origin Systems\Secret Ops.
2. I popped in the Secret Ops CD and let auto-run fire up the installer.
3. I clicked "Install".
4. I clicked "Change Directory" and chose the new directory I created in step 1.
5. I clicked "OK" and got the same error. "Not enough drive space".

What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried setting the compatability mode of the actual installer?

doh, accidentally hit the submit button before being finished and I can't edit the above post to fix it, so I'll start over.

That fixed it. I didn't think I would be able to adjust the properties of the installer since it was on the CD and not my computer, but that worked.

For the future benefit of others with who may run across this problem, I'll put what I did.

1. I opened the contents of the Secret Ops CD in Windows Explorer.

2. I read the AUTORUN.INF file in Notepad and saw that the installer is Setup.exe.

3. I right-clicked Setup.exe and clicked "Properties".

4. I clicked the "Compatibility" tab.

5. I clicked the checkbox labeled "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

6. In the drop-down menu just below it I selected "Windows 95".

7. I hit Apply.

8. Restarted the installation process and everything worked fine.

Thanks for the help guys.

Great, thanks for the follow-up. When you register, the forum gives you some time to go back and edit your posts.

Back