Secret Ops/Glide problem.

U

Unregistered

I ran a search for this topic title and read a few of the threads I got, but nothing fixed the problem.

I have a fresh install of Wing Commander: Secret Ops (set to compatability mode: Win 98) and the Glide program provided by this website. The game will run fine when I choose Direct3D mode in the set-up menu but when I set it to glide, I get a generic "Secretops.exe has encountered an error and needs to close"

http://solarisrpg.com/files/fileman/user/lum/dxdiag.txt

That is a link to a DXdiag test I ran, if it will help at all.

The only other game I have that -might- require glide is Fate by wildtangent (it's not on the configurator's list, though, so I doubt it does).

I could search for my old WC: Prophecy discs and see if that game works with glide, but I don't know where the discs are.

error message:

FileStreamer::read failed 0 0 998 fs::read WaifForMultipleObjects 1 0

I followed the directions precisely, including Win 98 compatability.

I got the same error message in all four "texture memory" settings (16, 8, 4, and 2).

What sort of video card do you have? Since this is just an informal wrapper, it's possible it's incompatible with your video card.

Don't hate me....

Just so you know, I'm a gaming failure. I have an onboard card...

Card name: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR

I would imagine it's simply incompatible. Oh well- back to playing 640 by 480 in software mode, I suppose.

Crap, I should log in so I can edit my messages and stop wasting space; I just wanted to say thanks anyway for the effort!

Oh, that's probably it then. When doing any sort of emulation, you have to have a substantially more powerful CPU/Video/etc than what you're trying to emulate. But if you can get Direct3D, that's not bad.

You're welcome.. you really should register/log in though, it makes tracking people's tech support issues easier.

Well, I dunno how much it helps now that all is said and done, but I haven't logged in in almost a year. But obviously, it's me, colonel sanders

Good thing I logged in this time. I am trying to delete the WCP3dtest installer from my computer, and I am getting an error saying I can't delete it because it's being used by another program. I've tried restarting and deleting, restarting with all services/startup programs turned off and deleting, but I cannot make the thing go away.

Back