Secret missions installation

U

Unregistered

Good day, my friend came across a copy of Wing Commander while surfing the net a while ago, the main game itself seemed to work perfectly (with or without installation)

The secret missions however met with some difficulties. The installation setup went smoothly, but right after confirming selected settings it stucked at a window asking to confirm which drive to copy from, any attempts to key in have failed

Is it because the main game itself is not entirely complete or the SM files must be placed into a diskette to run (this sounds a bit funny)

Appreciate any help, thanks!

If i recall correctly the secret missions are fiddly to install, I've definitely had this problem before but can't remember the solution offhand - let me look tonight!

My advice - buy legitimate copies of WC1 and its addons from Ebay or Amazon. Pirated versions found on the net usually don't work correctly, and of course its a copyright violation (as EA still holds all rights to WC distribution, even today).

First; BUY the game, it is not that expensive. and a good investment, wing commander will keep you on your toes trying to force you to play through it in a single run....

Second, Installer generally think of hardware from "back then", your best bet is to actually plug in a USB stick, format it with FAT16 or FAT32 and run your games on that(I assume you are using DOSBOX)

Embarrassingly I dont have a card to make an online purchase of the new Kilrathi Saga, and on my part of the world or the piece of island I am on its quite difficult to get an authentic copy

I owned the 2nd onwards save privateers, I never know that title was related until I first saw CIC

Still, appreciate the help given so far~

Embarrassingly I dont have a card to make an online purchase of the new Kilrathi Saga, and on my part of the world or the piece of island I am on its quite difficult to get an authentic copy

I owned the 2nd onwards save privateers, I never know that title was related until I first saw CIC

Still, appreciate the help given so far~

If you have Charity/second hand shops where you are it's always worth popping in to see what they have-

It's just a few dollars through mail order:
Wing commander I is rare, only one I could find was the "mile high club edition", bundled with Wing commander Academy and a few other sims, the game does not include the secret missions, the nintendo version is available, as is the Sega version(that you can play excellent through the neogenesis emulator)

Wing II is available, as is Wing III, kilrathi saga is so expensive that I believe I will seal it in a vault and cash in on as I retire.

Wing IV is available, but can be bought now through the playstation network.

Prophecy is available for a few dollars.

Euh, what is THIS:
http://www.amazon.com/Wing-Commander-Ron-Karren/dp/0966208307
??

Basically if i'm correct you have the problem that when you install secret missions from a folder it asks which drive you want to install from, if you hit escape to abort it then asks you to insert the main game (WC)'s disc 4.

So say i have the following path in windows
c:\wcdos\wing - contains the installed main game
c:\wcdos\sminst - contains the secret missions installer

i've loaded dosbox and mounted c:\wcdos to the c drive, so dosbox sees:
c:\wing
c:\sminst

you cant install like this though as the install exe has to be run from the root so instead mount the folder c:\wcdos\sminst to the a drive (either a or b, the program has to think it's a floppy drive, alternative hard-drive letters dont work- i dont have my wc deluxe here sadly so i cant check but i assume that the secret missions installer in there either mounts the disks to a ram-drive called a/b or has a patch for the installer)

now change to the "floppy" drive and run install.

note that sm2 installs fine if you mount it to any drive (but still needs to be a seperate drive)

the other alternative is to copy the install files to a usb drive and run them natively in windows - this seems to work fine but it will complain about no ems memory

hope that makes sense!

Back