Seattle and Pittsburgh in the superbowl

vindicator

Rear Admiral
Since I was seven, I remember being a big seahawks fan. I saw Steve Largent's final game at home in 1989. It means the whole world to the state of washington as a whole. I just remember how agonizing it has been over the last 16 years to never be better than mediocore. I watched the team draft guys like Rick Mirer and other high picks that never amounted to anything.

Enter Mike Holmgren in 1999

Then, we drafted a guy in Shaun Alexander who ran behind Ricky waters in the final years of his career. Guys like Darrell Jackson, and Bobby Engram became guys who learned and could create big plays. Things slowly start to change.

in 2002 after being sat down in favor of Trent Dilfer, Matt Hasselbeck shows he's learning better what to achieve for the offense, earning the starting Job back

in 2003 The seahawks draft a buddy of mine Marcus Trufant
Defensively it's still suspect and we lose in the playoffs

In 2004 The team backs into the playoffs and loses on the final play of the wild card playoff game

In 2005 The entire defense is reshaped and 8 starters are let go. A young linebacker out of USC is drafted in the 2nd round Lofa Tatupu
The denfense is bend but don't break while the offense holds the title of best for 11 weeks.

In 2006 Seattle wins it's first playoff game in 21 years. Then, convincingly hammers the panthers into the ground winning the opportunity to go to the superbowl.

As a fan, it's just nice to finally be able to see seattle in the big game. Being a fan of Jerome Bettis, this couldn't be a more entertaining matchup. It's going to be good and any question of weather seattle could win against a good team was answered last night. Here's to the superbowl.

-Rance-

Ahhh Super Bowl weeks is here again! And I don't live in America but I'm still excited about the "biggest Single Sports Event in the world" (thanks to the Claymores who have made brilliant players like Dante Hall!). I'm saying Steelers to win but I don't care! I'm a Dolfan. All I have to do is find a good superbowl party here to enjoy the superbowl! And I don't have school the day after Super Bowl!!! :D !!!

I like Seattle. We traded Jim Zorn to them for the draft picks that got us Tony Dorsett and Danny White.:D

(I mean "we" and "us" as in back then, not now with the current piece of shit owner.):mad:

Ridgerunner said:
I like Seattle. We traded Jim Zorn to them for the draft picks that got us Tony Dorsett and Danny White.:D

(I mean "we" and "us" as in back then, not now with the current piece of shit owner.):mad:

That is the kind of mentality I hate in sports. Fans describing the team as "we" and "us". You didn't contribute to the team at all. I love watching football, but when the Patriots win I don't start yelling "WE won!" just because I live in New England. With that said and done, I'm rooting for the Steelers this year.

Sarty said:
That is the kind of mentality I hate in sports. Fans describing the team as "we" and "us". You didn't contribute to the team at all. I love watching football, but when the Patriots win I don't start yelling "WE won!" just because I live in New England. With that said and done, I'm rooting for the Steelers this year.
Your one weird Fan! You don't contribute to the team? you do! You support them! Exspecially if you go to the games your contributing by supporting them! At least with my Football (that's the real football not your American Football) I'm a shareholder so in a way I can say "We won" but regular fans can also say "we won" due to the point I made above! I am part of the team as the 12th man and so are you (and for other sports you are the maximum number of the players on the feild +1th player!)

Yeah, if you buy merchindise. Buy tickets, cheer your ass off at the games. You're instrumental in their victory, you provide the money for the owners and the players with the paychecks, without fans, pro sports are just back yard scrimmages and such. They are my team in the sense that alot of my memories are tied up in what the do. It might annoy some, it might even piss them off. I say, we, because I have invested effort into being a fan, if you don't that's fine, but don't chastise me for saying "We."

-Josh-

Ridgerunner said:

Hehehe, Jim Zorn was a rare guy. He was either really really bad, or really really good. Zorn to Largent baby.

vindicator said:
Yeah, if you buy merchindise. Buy tickets, cheer your ass off at the games. You're instrumental in their victory, you provide the money for the owners and the players with the paychecks, without fans, pro sports are just back yard scrimmages and such.

You can apply that same nonsense to any service you pay for. I buy a lot of groceries from Hannaford's Supermarket; I drive there every week and pay them for my food. So does that mean when I refer to Hannafords I can say "we"? The fans play no real part in the game and are not members of the team. It is as simple as that.

I live in Washington, and as someone who is not actually a football fan, I can say with no authority that I am very surprised to see the Seahawks going to the Superbowl.

BTW, the biggest one sport event in the world is the Wordl cup... But the Superbowl is cool too.

Hey Ridge,

Don't worry about it. Sarty can whine about semantics all he wants. The vast majority of sports fans- football, baseball, hockey, doesn't matter- use the terms "we" and "us" and "you guys" when refering to teams.

Ever heard someone say, "We won WW II." Really? Were you in the United States Army, Marines, or Navy? Were you even alive in 1945? No? Well then, you shouldn't say "we" won. Tsk-tsk.

Besides, I'd doubt that Sarty has ever put on the pads or laced up the cleats.

Care to prove me wrong, Sarty?

GO COWBOYS

Eh, this is a popular bit of generic internet elitism that just doesn't wash.

It's wrong on both levels - practical and intellectual - and is decidedly not as clever as you are trying to sound.

I am not a football fan, but my brother (the sports reporter) assures me that fans are an integral part of the average football game. Specifically, the cheering mentioned by Rance. It's not a cheesy "if they're cheering, we'll win" sort of a way; rather, it's a measured effect in terms of sound levels that gives the home team an advantage. I do not know the science of it, so I may have the concept exactly back-asswards here, but it boils down to the fact that fans proper make more noise when the visiting team has the ball... which makes it harder for them to coordinate their offensive.

It's also wrong on the intellectual level you're seeking to appeal to here. The English language isn't as stupid as you're implying - words don't have single definitions from which they may not deviate. 'We' is not just the first person plural... it very clearly has an accepted royal use -- an editorial that claims 'we must leave Iraq!' does not specifically refer to the author or the readership (rather, in all likelyhood it refers to none of those people but rather the group or cause they assosciate themselves with).

A football team specifically sets itself up in this capacity, as a royal body which makes itself explicit to a particular area -- it is absolutely, absolutely, absolutely grammatically correct for someone from Seattle to refer to the Seattle Seahawks as 'we'.

(This goes double for this specific conflict, when there are two parties being discussed! Quote the OED: "g. used in conjunction with they to allude to the tension between two mutually exclusive groups or categories of people, or their opposing interests.")

BigsWickDagger said:
Besides, I'd doubt that Sarty has ever put on the pads or laced up the cleats.

Care to prove me wrong, Sarty?

Uh...no I haven't. That is exactly why I am NOT claiming to be part of the team.

I said that because his response pretty clearly implied he could prove me wrong.

Bandit LOAF said:
Eh, this is a popular bit of generic internet elitism that just doesn't wash.

It's wrong on both levels - practical and intellectual - and is decidedly not as clever as you are trying to sound.

I am not a football fan, but my brother (the sports reporter) assures me that fans are an integral part of the average football game. Specifically, the cheering mentioned by Rance. It's not a cheesy "if they're cheering, we'll win" sort of a way; rather, it's a measured effect in terms of sound levels that gives the home team an advantage. I do not know the science of it, so I may have the concept exactly back-asswards here, but it boils down to the fact that fans proper make more noise when the visiting team has the ball... which makes it harder for them to coordinate their offensive.

It's also wrong on the intellectual level you're seeking to appeal to here. The English language isn't as stupid as you're implying - words don't have single definitions from which they may not deviate. 'We' is not just the first person plural... it very clearly has an accepted royal use -- an editorial that claims 'we must leave Iraq!' does not specifically refer to the author or the readership (rather, in all likelyhood it refers to none of those people but rather the group or cause they assosciate themselves with).

A football team specifically sets itself up in this capacity, as a royal body which makes itself explicit to a particular area -- it is absolutely, absolutely, absolutely grammatically correct for someone from Seattle to refer to the Seattle Seahawks as 'we'.

(This goes double for this specific conflict, when there are two parties being discussed! Quote the OED: "g. used in conjunction with they to allude to the tension between two mutually exclusive groups or categories of people, or their opposing interests.")

I agree the crowd noise does affect a game. I saw that when the Patriots played Denver, but it is not as integral as some may think. I have seen more games in which crowd noise had no affect than I have where it did. I have seen many plays when the announcer's comment on the noise and how it will affect the offense, just to watch the offense complete an 80-yard touchdown play.

I am a football fan. I have gone to Patriots games before and I understand getting caught up in the excitement. But because I have been to the games, I notice that the average fan there does not say "we won" in the manner of being part of the community that won. They clearly think that the local sports team winning a game makes them a better person, and that really disgusts me about the whole sports-fan community.

I agree the crowd noise does affect a game. I saw that when the Patriots played Denver, but it is not as integral as some may think. I have seen more games in which crowd noise had no affect than I have where it did. I have seen many plays when the announcer's comment on the noise and how it will affect the offense, just to watch the offense complete an 80-yard touchdown play.

I don't think that's how variables work at all -- no one would ever claim that crowd noise will *always* prevent a team from doing something... the game would be terrible. It's something a team has to deal with, though, on a realistic level.

I am a football fan. I have gone to Patriots games before and I understand getting caught up in the excitement. But because I have been to the games, I notice that the average fan there does not say "we won" in the manner of being part of the community that won. They clearly think that the local sports team winning a game makes them a better person, and that really disgusts me about the whole sports-fan community.

Well, there's why people are reacting angrily to your post: you consider yourself above the "average fan" and you are posting with no apparent intent other than specifically to ruin their fun. How un-cool is that?

It feels good when your team wins... and that's the entire purpose of the endavour. I didn't win the Rose Bowl... my school's team did. I had nothing to do with it save my assosciation with the school... but it still felt great.

Look at it from everyone elses perspective: you're interrupting the group of happy people who are doing nothing technically wrong and insisting that they should now make an effort to feel bad about *how* they're being happy? That's crazy.

Being the guy who sits in the back and goes "Heh heh heh technically you had nothing to do with it!" isn't clever or unique... heck, it's downright average.

That seems like an odd thing to actually be physically disgusted about. Besides, I don't think that someone actually thinks they're a better person for having watched a team win. A sports fan of any kind lives through the players. Most of them used to dream of playing sports. I used to dream of playing football when I was 8 years old, it wasn't until I began to grow up and understand my limitations that I realized that would be a dream unfulfiled. When I say 'we' it's in the context of my dreams. I don't consider myself a better person when WE win, I do however, take great joy in the victory.

As far as LOAF's statement, you're both correct. Crowd noise is a factor, also, it isn't. if I am a quarterback, lets say I call a play "320-florida-XZ-post" for example. Each phrase in those quotes stands for something and tells a player what to do. If they can't hear the play, or didn't hear it completely it is crowd noise that impacts that. In situations that it isn't, teams gameplan specificly for the noise itself, making fans what? INVOLVED IN THE GAME. If anyone watched the NFC championship game, the first thing Joe Buck mentions is that it's very loud. You can see the struggles teams have with noise by watching the quarterback. crowds are involved either way. Be disgusted, but it doesn't make you right.

This was one superbowl top to bottom that just felt bad all around. Now, I am a seahawks fan, but I'll give pittsburgh their due, they won when it came down to it. I think something else happened though that made me happy. I went out to the store today, everywhere I went people were commenting on my Matt Hasselbeck Jersey. Some of my friends that were Steelers fans remarked "Seattle is tougher than I thought." Even in the loss, I think seattle earned alot of respect from the average football fan.

Did anyone else hate the halftime show?
The comercials also felt very lack luster.
Why is there a five blade razor? What are people doing, shaving their cat?
The only comercial I found entertaining was the sheep streaking one.
This was just awful.

Thank you Jerome Bettis for the 11 years that I followed you. Happy retirement.

-Rance-

Back