screeching in Privateer

Sythifuge

Spaceman
Hello, I have a P3 450, 192mb pc-100 ram, and an SBLive card. When I play Privateer, the sound effects and speech screech and distort, and it sounds terribly horrible. The music plays great though. I tried running the game on my AMD K6-2 450 with 64mb ram, and a SB16 PnP card, and the speech plays here, screeches badly there, and all my weapons screech. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Just a guess, but I suspect that Priv doesn't like your soundcard. It was meant for SB16, I think, though why it wouldn't work with SB PnP, I don't know. Try experimenting between different FX card options in install.

Ive tried using all the different options, I'm guessing that my pc's are processing the sounds too fast or something...I even threw in a generic soundcard that I used to play the game with on my old 486dx2 (i wish I still had that old thing), and it still screeched. It must be the fast processors. The game itself must have a bult in fram limiter, so I might try moslowing it, or buying someone's 486 hehehehe

Actually, what Privateer really doesn't like is memory. Seriously :). If you have more than 16 megs of RAM available for Priv, the poor thing has a nervous breakdown - meaning that the sound sounds distorted, et cetera, et cetera. So, what you have to do is limit the amount of RAM that EMM386 makes available to 16 megs (16384 kilobytes).

Here's how to do that:

Go into your config.sys and look for the EMM386 line. Change it to the following:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386 RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF

Another possible cause of this problem is an incorrectly specified IRQ or DMA setting.

it worked

Thanks Quarto and Stinger, I adjusted my ram in emm386 and the sound works great! Now if only the game would stop locking up during battles... hehehe

Back