Scratching an old itch - starting from WC1

I've been looking around through guides in this section, etc., and while technical details seem to be covered well (DOSBox configs and running, etc.), what isn't so clear is which way is the best to go about this whole process from the get-go.

So, lemme lay out what I have, and ask you more seasoned vets how to go about this. Again, not so much the technical howtos (I can look those up myself), but rather the "general approach".

Media I have:
WC
WC:tSM
WC:tSM2
WC2
WC2:SO1
WC2:SO2
KS (mostly picked up as my source for WC3 at the time)
WC4
Prophecy

Now... For WC1 and WC2, which is usually easier/more reliable to get running; the DOS versions, or KS (I'm 6s on "nostalgia" of DOS soundtrack vs. "upgraded" KS)? What is the status of availability of the Secret Missions and Secret Ops for WC1 and WC2 for KS? I understand they were once available for download, but what about availability nowadays? Given the option (other than pulling out "era correct" hardware/OSes ;) ), is XP or Vista generally easier to work with for DOSBox? Is there an appreciable difference in performance in DOSBox for utilizing multiple CPU cores at this time (ie. given similar CPU/bus speeds, 4 cores vs. 1)?

Thanks for opinions. :cool: I look forward to running through the WCs again (well, except Kurasawa 2... :eek: :D ).

I don't have an answer to all your questions, but as far as I know, the Secret Missions and Special Operations extensions for Kilrathi Saga are still legitimately available from the CIC's own Files section.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say following the tech support walkthroughs and using the DOS/DOSBox combo is somewhat more reliable. There's virtually no reason why you shouldn't be able to get WC1/2 running in Windows that way. Any modern computer will run them smoothly.

Back