Scientists Discover 10th Planet's Moon

Ptarmigan

Spaceman
Fascinating stuff. The 10th planet in question is not large. I think there is really a 10th planet, no more than twice the size of Earth. The Moon of the 10th planet is named after a character on TV. How weird.

Full Article

They havent decided on official names yet, the planet and moon were nick-named Xena and Gabrielle ('The International Astronomical Union, a group of scientists responsible for naming planets, is deciding on formal names for Xena and Gabrielle.')

On the one hand, yes, it's nerdy. On the other - what's the difference? All the other planet's names are mythological, so they're based on stories and characters which - if you look at the myths themselves - didn't make much more sense than Xena and Gabrielle.
I can only guess that the naming of the traditional planets dates back quite some time, as the bigger ones are visible to the naked eye - so the Greeks or Romans who named them might have taken some flame for nerdiness in their time.
I don't want to go so far as to promote the naming or celestial objects after TV series, based on the "modern myth" predicament, but given some thought, the IAU might want to start thinking about asteroids named Frodo, or Paul Atreides, or even Neo. Names reflect the culture they were bestowed from - so what can you do?

criticalmass said:
On the one hand, yes, it's nerdy. On the other - what's the difference? All the other planet's names are mythological, so they're based on stories and characters which - if you look at the myths themselves - didn't make much more sense than Xena and Gabrielle.
I can only guess that the naming of the traditional planets dates back quite some time, as the bigger ones are visible to the naked eye - so the Greeks or Romans who named them might have taken some flame for nerdiness in their time.
You forget one thing - back when those planets were being named, these weren't myths, but gods. They weren't naming planets after fictional people but after what they felt were very real, and very powerful gods. Naming a planet in honour of Mars was probably considered as a good way of scoring points with Mars.

So, if you wanted to follow the original naming scheme, you wouldn't be naming celestial objects after TV series, but after Christian or Muslim angels and saints, or Biblical prophets.

And egad, if you must, name them Xena, Gabrielle, or whatever... but I beg you, not Neo! :p

Yes, Neo and its moon Trinity, or how about Kirk and its moon Spock, or Maverick and its moon Maniac perhaps? :)

Quarto said:
Naming a planet in honour of Mars was probably considered as a good way of scoring points with Mars... if you must, name them Xena, Gabrielle, or whatever...
So... someone out there is trying to score points with Xena and/or Gabrielle...:D Makes perfect sence to me!:p

I agree, no Neo - it would just be too corny.
On a slightly more serious note, I did try to find out since when the planets have the names that we now take for granted, and the result is sometimes surprising - because even the closer ones like Venus and Mars went through quite a while of mixed identity syndrome. Venus seems to be the one konown longest to human eyes, and its classical role as morning or evening star has spawned legends and myths itself, rather than picking someting already existing for a name.
Going on from there, as watching the skies and musing about the meaning of their movements has always been a favorite human pasttime, the creation of mythology and the naming of stars has gone along together for many cultures. The spreading of the planets names as known today (actually mostly Roman names for Greek gods) was accomplished through the cultural and economic influence of the Roman empire, and prevailed through Western Civilization - to be picked up by tradition by astronomers again, as through the centuries, the smaller or more distant planets were discovered. For some reason, all the moons of Uranus carry names from Shakespeare characters - and I don't know why, but maybe they had the same discussion as we're having now.
And Loaf, you're doomed. Xena's curse will hit you tonight...

1) Godzilla and Megallon
2) Franz Hipper and Reinhard Scheer
3) Bond and Jaws

- Much better names for an entire world and its newly discovered natural sattelite.

Bandit LOAF said:
Xena can't fly... Xena can't fly!

I told you, I'm not Xena, I'm Lucy Lawless

(Besides, everyone knows that Jonas Simbaca renames the planet as Kaos in later years)

Back