Scientific Properties of Durasteel

Yeah, a googlesearch shows that there are a bunch of companies called Durasteel and at least one type of Japanese metal.

Originally posted by Cpl Hades
Durasteel does exist in a way.. I think it's an old British company. I'm not sure if it's even still around. There's a really heavy blast-proof door here at work that is marked Durasteel. It's dated something like 1977.

Just curious, but where would you work at that you would need a blast proof door?

Also

I'd, uh, ask a real question if I had a real question to ask... :eek: ... I was trying to figure out the properties of Tungsten steel, just for the hell of it (since everything in Priv is steel alloys...y'know, durasteel, plasteel, etc., I thought it would make sense to research Tungsten steel) ...density, what it melts at, that sorta thing. It'd still be interesting, right?

Back to durasteel. I'd ask more, but since we don't seem to know anything I thought I'd just try to spark up conversation on it. Which I did, sorta. :D;;;

(Interesting to note. Star Wars uses both Durasteel and plasteel. :))

Calling something Durasteel is like saying Plasma Weapon in a sci-fi novel. It's a very generic term.

Well, from observation, I think it would be safe to say that any techobabble-sounding metal with 'steel' in it isn't nessesarily a type of steel. It could be just some random space alloy with that thrown in to make it more recognizable.

Durasteel is easier to say than Durallium or something cheap like that.

Originally posted by Bhaktadil
Bingo. Thats what I meant to say by modify. Since if it was pure tungsten, it would have some very specific properties that would make it pretty weak. A melting point in the 3000 range is going to melt fast. The armor is certainly some kind of alloy. That is why the fact that it is twenty times the strenght of durasteel means nothing since we do not know what the armor actually is. This is "tungsten armor" that is why they can be compared to durasteel. It definitely is not just tungsten, however.

tungsten has the highest melting polint of all elements

Something a simple as an oxy-acetelyne cutting torch, which by the way has a flame that is 3000+ degrees, could probably melt solid tungsten armour. Now a cannon blast could turn that into metal vapor pretty quickly as was mentioned.

Originally posted by Napoleon

tungsten has the highest melting polint of all elements
Correct. It has the highest melting point of any element. That is not saying much when compared to numerous alloys and various synthetic constructs, however. The armor is probably loosely based on tunsten in some way, but only an idiot would believe that the element tungsten, itself, is what the armor is.

Correct. It has the highest melting point of any element. That is not saying much when compared to numerous alloys and various synthetic constructs, however. The armor is probably loosely based on tunsten in some way, but only an idiot would believe that the element tungsten, itself, is what the armor is.

then why call it tungsten, most alloys get a name different from the element they are based on.

only an idiot would believe that the element tungsten, itself, is what the armor is.

Thats what I meant by solid tungsten... as in to show that it coulndt be just tungsten for that reason.

Originally posted by Napoleon

then why call it tungsten, most alloys get a name different from the element they are based on.
Well, durasteel is not durasteel. Alloying the metal would likely increse the tensile, but lower the melting point. So the armor could be a mix of a ficticious tungsten alloy, a ceramic material (to increase melting point), or neither (made up material). It probably is a mix of purely made-up materials -- whatever they may be.

As for alloy names, tungsten-carbide (used in older tank shells, iron and industrial uses) still retains the name tungsten. So the armor's name could have been shortened. The fact that the armor can be compared to durasteel alone will prove that the armor is not merely tungsten.

The fact that the armor can be compared to durasteel alone will prove that the armor is not merely tungsten.

Hmm... it would... except that it doesn't... at all...

TC

I do not intend to ever leave a position undefended ... so ... it is logically provable by the simple fact that the two armors can be quantifiably compared-- this much of this is equaled to this much strength of this &c. There must be a standard frame of reference.

Since durasteel is the standard for all types of armor and damage marks, it implies a fair amount of uniformity as to how armor is processed and rated in their day. There is to many variables for simply an element tungsten. It has a high melting point and can stop a laser, but what about kinetic damge? Since tungsten has widely different properties concerning different areas, they could not have just tested every weapon and found that they all had the same results when compared to durasteel. You cannot just take an element and then perfectly compare it with something else. There has to be a state of reference between the armors.

Any one with an opposing view should explain why their position is correct instead of blindly saying I'm right becasue I know this runs a certain way.

Back