SB Live & DOS

Preacher

Swabbie
Banned
SoundBlaster Live & DOS

Seems to me I've seen mention around these parts of folks using their SB Live cards under Win 9x DOS. Nonetheless, when I did a search here earlier tonite on the CZ for this forum, I can't seem to find any specific mention as to how this can be done, where such drivers could be downloaded, etc.

Thing is, now that I have one of these bad boys myself, I'd like to know how to get it to run in Dos 7x. Can anyone help out here?...

The drivers usually come with the SB CD. Do you have it? They´re inside a folder named "DOSDRV".

I have a SB PCI 128 and, AFAIK, the DOS setup procedures are the same for my card and SB Live. If you find the drivers, let me know so we can start working on your autoexec.bat and config.sys.

And don´t even try asking Creative for support. They´ll tell you that "SB Live does not work in plain DOS". Well, actually it does work fine. You just got to work with your configurations.

I have no such folder on my drivers CD.

The closest other Creative drivers CD I got is one for SB Awe 64 (an ISA card, natch), and one for the Ensoniq Audio PCI card, both "a couple" years old (as you could guess)...

I wasn't nec'lly thinking of contacting Creative, which is why I posted here. Also, I'm having problems w/ it in Windows, where, when I try to play a Music CD, it gives me a message about something not being registered as an MCI device (yes, I have the audio cable from the CD Drive hooked up to the SB card). Man, I never had THAT prob before...

I´m pretty sure that SB Live and SB PCI 128´s DOS installations are quite similar. I´m busy this week but when things clear up here I can hunt for your answers. As a matter of fact I think that I only found how to setup SB Live in DOS and then, by analogy, I used the same instructions on my SB PCI 128.

In the meantime, try the "Drivers Posted by Users" board at www.driversguide.com. It might have some installation instructions as well.

login: drivers
password: all

Preacher, this is what helped me getting my SB PCI 128 work in DOS. Maybe it can be useful with your SB Live. If it does not, let me know.

File: SBPCIDOS.TXT
Author: Pat Kenny (prkenny@zip.com.au)
Date: 26 January 2000

Purpose: This document describes the steps to get the Creative Labs Vibra 128 sound card (Vibra 128) and the Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI 128 sound card (SBPCI 128) working in the DOS operating system (as opposed to DOS sessions run from, or in the version of DOS accompanying, Windows 95/98). In the absence of any documentation on the subject by Creative Labs, the process has been determined empirically by the author through trial and error. Accordingly, the steps described may not work with all PCs. Further, the author had access to the Vibra 128, but not to the SBPCI 128, so the DOS installation process has only been validated for the Vibra 128 by the author. Confirmation of the validity of the DOS installation process for the SBPCI 128 sound card, or of improvements to the DOS installation process for either sound card, would accordingly be welcomed.

Test Bed Configuration:

Hardware:
Motherboard: twaNP5TX-Bpro ver 2.0e 09/25/1997
Bios: Award Modular Bios v 4.51PG
CPU: Pentium 200 MMX
Memory: 64 MBytes
Hard Disk: 2.5 GByte IDE
Floppy Disk Drive: 1.44 MByte 3.5"
CDROM: Mitsumi 6x IDE
Sound Card: Creative Labs Vibra 128 PCI
Video Card: S3 Trio 64 1 MByte PCI
Video Bios: S3 86C775 Video BIOS Version 1.01.04 06/27/97
Video Monitor: Ipex 15" SVGA
Network Card: Compex FL32 DEC 21041 Ethernet PCI
Keyboard: 104 key IBM
Mouse: Logitech 3-button

Software:
Operating System: MS DOS 6.22
Other Software: 3D Realms - Duke Nukem 3D
Interplay - Redneck Rampage
Capstone - Witch Haven
Capstone - Witch Haven 2
Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11

DOS Installation Procedure for Vibra 128 & SBPCI 128:

1. The following DOS installation files are included with the Creative Labs driver set for the Vibra 128 / SBPCI 128. They must be copied to a directory (eg, C:\SBPCI) on the PC's Hard Drive.

sblegacy.exe
sbinit.com
sbpci.bin
sbpci.ini

2. The following waveset files are also included with the Creative Labs driver set for the Vibra 128 / SBPCI 128. At least one of these files must be copied to a directory (eg, C:\SBPCI\WAVESETS) on the PC's Hard Drive:

eapci2m.ecw
eapci4m.ecw
eapci8m.ecw

Renaming a copy of the chosen file to "default.ecw" is recommended.

3. A specific line (normally the last line) in the sbpci.ini file must be edited to point to the location and name of the chosen waveset file, as follows (using the suggested directory and naming convention as an example):

Synthfile=c:\SBPCI\WAVESETS\default.ecw

4. The following entries must be inserted into the autoexec.bat file in the root directory of the C: drive (using the directory examples suggested in paragraphs 1 & 2):

SET SBPCI=C:\SBPCI
SET BLASTER=A:220 I:7 D:1 T:2
C:\SBPCI\SBLEGACY.EXE
C:\SBPCI\SBINIT.COM

Note that the values used in the "SET BLASTER=" statement should correspond with those specified in the SBPCI.INI file (A:<IO Port Address> I:<IRQ> D:<DMA> T:<Sound Blaster version>). Note also that SBLEGACY.EXE must be run before SBINIT.COM.

5. After rebooting the PC, DOS applications should recognise, and be able to use, the Vibra 128 / SBPCI 128 as an 8-bit mono sound blaster card. Each of the listed software applications were successful in doing so on the test bed. The author successively tested BLASTER environment variable values corresponding to a Sound Blaster Pro, a Sound Blaster 16 and a Sound Blaster AWE32 (all stereo cards), but the Vibra 128 responded as an 8-bit mon sound blaster card each time.

6. The following useful DOS utilities are also provided with the Creative Labs driver sets for use with the DOS installation of the Vibra 128 / SBPCI 128:

sbcfg.exe
sbload.exe
sbmixer.exe
sbtest.exe
mt32.exe

Starkey said:
Preacher, this is what helped me getting my SB PCI 128 work in DOS. Maybe it can be useful with your SB Live. If it does not, let me know.
Thanx.

Now, if I can only get my hands on the freakin' drivers themselves.

I'll try a search on driverguide soon (I've used them before for lots of other stuff), and see what I can come up with.

where to find SB Live! drivers or so?

Hi! It's my first post here.

In truth I was searching DOS drivers for SB Live! I've seen countless posts in tons of forums asking for the files. Despite the fact that people is very nice in your posts, they forget some important details:

1- I (and the most part of the people) have a SB Live! Value witch came with a drivers CD that DOESN'T CONTAIN ANY DOSDRV DIRECTORY OR SO. We're able to find and identify those directories, so we've searched the CD's and nothing happens. In fact, the CD doesn't even contain win98 drivers, only 98se, me, and 2000.

2- If the DOS drivers exist, where can we find the precious files? Is it protect under some sick copyright law to affraid people to post them in any website? If so, I'm sure if I have the files, I can't create a website only to hosting the files (in Brazil, laws doesn't work :) )

Any help would be apreciated. Please forgive any spell mistakes and behaviour. I'm really crazy about this files...

Cap

Capitão Caverna said:
Hi! It's my first post here.

Yay! The CZ Brazilian Legion grows every month!!!

It´s been a while since I saw that cartoon... CAPITÃO CAVERNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA hehehe

Capitão Caverna said:
2- If the DOS drivers exist, where can we find the precious files? Is it protect under some sick copyright law to affraid people to post them in any website? If so, I'm sure if I have the files, I can't create a website only to hosting the files

I´m pretty sure you can put them in a homepage. Like I said, the drivers came with my SB PCI 128.
Maybe they might work with SB Live... They are both SB PCI cards... perhaps I could e-mail you and Preacher my drivers and you can test them in your machine? That can´t make things worse, right?

Capitão Caverna said:
(in Brazil, laws doesn't work :) )

Laws do work here, you just got to know the right people :p

driverzzzzzzzzzz???????

Hmm... I was thinking I was the only one brazilian in here... ;-)

I'd like to receive the files! If so, I'll make a website to put the files to everyone. But I wonder why this files isn't so common on the net... Maybe (if my english is good enough) translate the tips to portuguese or so... Anyways, thanks for reply! :)

mail: harlley9@pop.com.br
midparty2001@yahoo.com.br

Cap

PS. Sorry, I DON'T know the right people... :-((((((

Ok. I´ll be sending you the files this weekend. In the meantime, why don´t you register in this WC CZ?

Back