Savik's Accusation

You're remembering correctly, but I'm fairly sure that idea originated in the novel rather than the script.

Probably all of them. If Genesis weren't something that could double as a weapon then neither Khan nor the Klingons would have been especially interested in it. He made the decision that ultimately lead to others killing the Regula One and the Grissom crews.

Sorry to go back on this one, but rereading it... it still seems inappropriate. I mean think about it, most of the greatest inventions to date have either stemmed from, or become weapons (Nuclear power, horseless carriage, Radar, sonar, rocket tech, space satellite, etc.).

Still to place blame on him for the deaths of the people on Regula, the cadets who died during the fight against Khan, and the crew of the Grissom, is pretty extreme. David wasn't the head of this project, his mother was for one. For two this was never intended to be a weapon, in fact it seems that David wanted Starfleet to have nothing to do with this project and went to great lengths to make that clear.

Sorry to go back on this one, but rereading it... it still seems inappropriate. I mean think about it, most of the greatest inventions to date have either stemmed from, or become weapons (Nuclear power, horseless carriage, Radar, sonar, rocket tech, space satellite, etc.).

Still to place blame on him for the deaths of the people on Regula, the cadets who died during the fight against Khan, and the crew of the Grissom, is pretty extreme. David wasn't the head of this project, his mother was for one. For two this was never intended to be a weapon, in fact it seems that David wanted Starfleet to have nothing to do with this project and went to great lengths to make that clear.

There's a great 'March of Time' newsreel from the late 1940s about the development of the bomb. They filmed a 'recreation' at Los Alamos, with the various scientists playing themselves. Oppenheimer and another scientist (Lawrence?) watch the pretend Trinity test and then awkwardly read some dialogue off of cue cards, along these lines: "We've done it, we've created the atomic bomb." "Yes, Oppy, and we'll never have to feel sorry about it."

Nobody actually lives in this world. There are plenty of people who blame the world's problems on the things you listed above -- and their creators.

(Also, it's worth pointing out that while we know Carol Marcus exists, Star Trek III as a stand-alone story doesn't. The movie removes any references to her and treats David as the creator of Genesis. It's no coincidence that they refilmed the 'explaining Genesis' tape with Kirk instead of Carol...)

Unfortunately what you said makes all to much sense... its always too easy to blame the person who built and supplied it, rather then the wackjob who actually pressed the button. Someone buys a gun and shoots up an office building, blame the gun company that made a product that works... Guy has a heart attack from eating too much fast food, blame McDonald's, don't blame the fatass who should exhibit self control.

(Also, it's worth pointing out that while we know Carol Marcus exists, Star Trek III as a stand-alone story doesn't. The movie removes any references to her and treats David as the creator of Genesis. It's no coincidence that they refilmed the 'explaining Genesis' tape with Kirk instead of Carol...)

Yeah I always wondered why... In WOK it seemed like she was all important while David was a mere assistant, who was resentful of Star Fleet involvement.

Yeah I always wondered why... In WOK it seemed like she was all important while David was a mere assistant, who was resentful of Star Fleet involvement.

I imagine it wasn't anything sinister; it's just another case of proper storytelling getting in the way of geekily including everything you possibly could from previous stories. She would end up either replacing David or being an awkwardly included extra body (and unlike the secondary TOS crewmembers, I imagine Carol Marcus was no one's beloved favorite character). In the end, "you Klingon bastard, you've killed my son" sounds a heck of a lot more dramatic than "you Klingon bastard, you've killed the mother of my son whom I am not otherwise involved at the moment."

In the end, "you Klingon bastard, you've killed my son" sounds a heck of a lot more dramatic than "you Klingon bastard, you've killed the mother of my son whom I am not otherwise involved at the moment."

I don't think it was necessarily more dramatic to say that. I think the more realistic reaction, had it been Carol instead of David is, "Wow, you killed my ex, no more alimony payments, Yaaaay!!!! Hey you guys need a ride back to Kronos?" :D

Back