Samsung's coolest gadget yet

Next, you'll be telling me about the dangers of leaving the automated gun in an open space where it can get struck by lighting that causes the AI to go berserk, like in Stealth :).

Or come to life like in Short Circuit! :)

"Machine Gun Sentry number 5 is alive!!!" :D

Sorry that was lame. ;)

Next, you'll be telling me about the dangers of leaving the automated gun in an open space where it can get struck by lighting that causes the AI to go berserk, like in Stealth :).

And Matrix. And I, Robot. And Terminator. And 2001. And "I have no mouth and I must scream". Well, let's face it, rogue AI is a stock character.

If the robots are out to get us, there's already a fifth column willing to workship robotic overlords and help them destroy mankind.

Notice that this automated turret has not been programmed to distinguish between armed and unarmed people, merely between people and trees. So, there's no chance of a mistake - it will work as intended, shooting at exactly everyone that approaches.

Well, so it's just a matter of using a tree costume? :p

The movie do show the turret issue an warning and someone putting their hands up, however.

It's just like the Berlin Wall - East Germany didn't set up the wall with all of its defences in order to filter the bad refugees from the good ones, but to be able to kill them all.

With the weapons turned into their own side. The good thing about the automated turrets is that they can't make a run for it and escape to the other side themselves. That is, unless their AI becomes rogue and they want to live a better life on capitalist paradise.

who wouldn't? Hey, it doesn't matter if you're a turret, a robot, or a rogue combat vehicle. Come one come all into paradise and take part in the wonderful exchange of goods for profit.

What is wrong with me? I've got to stop posting today...I think it's this office...:(

Notice that this automated turret has not been programmed to distinguish between armed and unarmed people, merely between people and trees. So, there's no chance of a mistake - it will work as intended, shooting at exactly everyone that approaches. I doubt anybody would ever bother with a turret that gets more sophisticated than that, as that would defeat the point - you set up such turrets in places where you don't want even your own people to be (notice this is the Korean border we're talking about). In places where there's a chance of a mistake, you'll put ordinary people. It's just like the Berlin Wall - East Germany didn't set up the wall with all of its defences in order to filter the bad refugees from the good ones, but to be able to kill them all.

So in other words it's just a more sophisticated anti-personnel mine. The whole tell-friend-from-foe problem is too diffcult without Turing-grade AI.

Uh, when you think about the amount of casualties that result from friendly fire, I'd want better than Turing-grade AI before I stepped in front of the turret.

Or Short Circuit.

Back