Salutes...

Dralthi5

Spaceman
Okay, the Terran Confederation is supposed to have this strict military or whatever, but you'd think they'd have better salutes. Have you taken a look at some in the last three Wing Commander games? Boy, they suck!

------------------
Doing the bull dance. Feeling the flow.

First time Blair meets Vagabond. He says "Not much for protocol are you?" Vagabond says "Out here we got better things to do than practice our salutes." Or something to that effect. He's damn right.

Vagabond's words only, the Victory's resident card shark doesn't speak for the entire Confederation.

First time Blair meets Vaquero. Vaquero salutes sitting down. Huh?

First time Blair meets Eisen. Blair salutes from the middle of his forehead. Ugh...

------------------

Dude once your career is really going I highly doubt that after a while certain officers will really care about the salutes.

------------------
I fight on the side of peace and honor, just like Blair

I'll tell you this much, if they can get away with it in The Green Berets, they can do it in WC.

Also, keep in mind that Vaquero has a ponytail and Blair has a relationship with his Wing Commander in WC2...in that game, nobody seemed to really care when they kissed on the flight deck.

I want to see Casey salute in the proper Canadian/British fashion (his father being from here in Vancouver)

TC

------------------
Member of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

You mean instead of the palm facing down, the palm facing outwards... *shrugs*

You still must remember, being the hotshot pilots they are saluting to other pilots, it means nothing (like a slight wave of the hand as a hello..).

Just remember to salute properly at Tolwyn...

------------------
"To take one step forward, you must look back three steps... and walk forward while looking back... "

I don't fear Tolwyn... I handled him once (more like 50 or 60 times) and I can handle him again
smile.gif

TC

------------------
Member of the Blacklance HQ

Last edited by a moderator:
TC: I'm really trying not to make a smart ass remark abou what you said.
smile.gif

Yes they are a little informal and that can be understood during tmes of war when your thoughts are more focused on staying alive rather than impressing the brass. The quote Penguin wrote pretty much says that. Another way to look at it is WC is just a game and the people in the game are just actors. Maybe if Cris Roberts and company thought that it was a real issue they would have tryed to make things more true to real life in the military. Of course this is just my view on things.

Did you know that salutes came about in Medieval times when Knights used to raise the faceplate on their helmets to show that they meant no hostility...a useless bit of knowledge that I felt like telling you
smile.gif

------------------
'For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky'.

Wing Commander - Secret Ops Missions
http://saturn.spaceports.com/~wcsom/index.html

Useless knowledge? I thought that was common knowledge.
smile.gif

------------------

I like the 3rd rock from the sun salute
smile.gif
And the Futurama salute
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

And the one-fingered salute.
smile.gif

------------------

None of that here Dralth... this is a familty web board
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

How about the Nazi salute for the Black Lance? kidding dont kill me.
How about that fist salute when you put your fist agianst your heart?

Anyone ever seen the original Star Trek episode, "Mirror, Mirror?" The Terran Empire's salute was neat. (That's an example of the fist to chest salute.)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited January 11, 2000).]

Back