Saga Unveils New Backdrops (May 7, 2009)

KrisV

Administrator
The Wing Commander Saga website has been updated with another set of screenshots. This time, the team is giving us a preview of all the different starfield backgrounds. They're also providing us with some insight into the game's development process.

Welcome to the latest news update! This week, we'll cover a few different topics, including space environments, our work flow process, and feature creep.

Last week we got all nebula backgrounds done, and they came out very well. The in-game visual experience is now amazing. Each star system has it's own backdrop, giving each one an individual flair. Take a look at our latest screenshots for a few examples. These are from multiple environments, and you'll be seeing more as we continue pushing out media. So, basically, you can consider those shots an appetizer.

--
Original update published on May 7, 2009

Last edited:
Very pretty. Stunning in some cases. But I have got to be the only person who still yearns for a simple dark-blue background with blue-white stars...with maybe the occasional planet. You know, the classics. :D

I'm somewhat disappointed. Is this to be the extent of nebula's in the game? Because I really liked the way Freespace 2 did their nebula's. It's so rare in a game to find a nebula where a ship a thousand klicks out is actually shrouded and not visible to you. That was some of the best fighting in FS2, firing a missile and watching it home through a Nebula to blow up a target you couldn't even see...

Well, what you see in the screenshots are nebulas from far, far away. In some cases a few lightyears away.
When you're actually in a nebula, you will see much less.

(In real space nebulas are so thin that you would hardly notice being in them, but that's another thing :D )

Very pretty. Stunning in some cases. But I have got to be the only person who still yearns for a simple dark-blue background with blue-white stars...with maybe the occasional planet. You know, the classics. :D

You ain't the only one, Howard :p

In response to above concern... no.. this is not the "inside a nebula" view. That will be FS2 style with updated effects though. These are all "outside nebula" examples.

Back