Saga Releases Background Audio Track (May 28, 2009)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The WC Saga team has added an accomplished new composer to its ranks. The mod's new ambient theme has been released as a sample and teaser for what's to come. Tolwyn has more details:
This week we are very pleased to announce that the highly skilled composer Jeff Ball has signed on to work on the music production and sound design for Wing Commander Saga. Jeff's unique range of work and talent will bring the soundtrack for Saga to a new level. To find out more about Jeff's work please visit his website at jeffballmusic.com.

We decided to share an excerpt from the soundtrack. As you listen to the ambient theme just imagine launching from a Confederation carrier. We feel confident the final soundtrack will reflects the epic scope of the game while giving the players a subtle sense of its grandness.

--
Original update published on May 28, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
That is so good, I hope you release the full soundtrack at some point! Oh, is the theme from the prologue going to be in the completed mod? I find myself humming it occasionally.

Jeff Ball does a great job. There is really a "Oldziey-Feeling" in his tracks.

Full soundtrack.... maybe....
I would certainly like to listen to that music.

Could you guys please remove that black fake texture from that news post?

If the look of the game is too dark for you feel free to simply increase ambient levels in the final game's launcher. It's a simple as that. the screenshots were made with a certain ambient level that the team prefers. Nobody is keeping any user from changing those settings for their own game experience.

But posting fake textures in a news post is very bad style I'd say.

Could you guys please remove that black fake texture from that news post?

If the look of the game is too dark for you feel free to simply increase ambient levels in the final game's launcher. It's a simple as that. the screenshots were made with a certain ambient level that the team prefers. Nobody is keeping any user from changing those settings for their own game experience.

But posting fake textures in a news post is very bad style I'd say.

I don't know what happened, but I remember viewing that picture on Friday and it was a picture of a kilrathi capital ship. I don't think they meant to make a joke, but then again, I could always be wrong.

I don't know what happened, but I remember viewing that picture on Friday and it was a picture of a kilrathi capital ship. I don't think they meant to make a joke, but then again, I could always be wrong.

If that is so, then I appologize. But I was approached and made aware of that picture with that reasoning behind it and it is after all a totally black picture.

Again, if it is simply a "bug" then I appologize but even then it should be replaced by the correct picture.

It's either a black spacer image that shows up on the gray forum or it's a goofy joke (I don't know, it's not my update - but I certainly use both spacers *and* goofy jokes when I write for the CIC). If you're horrified by either of these possibilities, there's something wrong with you.

I wouldn't call a 1650px × 1100px black image labeled wcsaga-cattexture26.jpg a "spacer image".

And yes, I do have a problem with 'goofy jokes'.

This was a post about Jeff Ball's music with a quote of Tolwyn's below it.
The images are arranged to that data provided by us. So adding something to that post that didn't come from us is falsifying our data and not reporting news.
So no I don't like this, especially since it is part of a news report about someone else's work, Jeff Ball's work.

If you have a problem with sticking to valid information when reporting about Saga then I'd rather see you not reporting about Saga at all. We don't need people spreading images that aren't related to our work, or playing 'goofy jokes' outside April fools.

Edit: I also don't see what challenged such an agressive response. I asked for the removal of the 'joke' and told you guys that we'll do everything to ensure that the final game's look will be adjustable to everyones needs and preferences. That's all. I thought we had developed a good understanding recently from our chat's about Saga where I asked for technical advice, but it seems that has changed again.

It bugs me that someone would be making such an extreme effort to have a problem with something this inoffensive. Go away. Be less stupid. Etc.

Also, take yourself *way* less seriously. It's a fan site reporting on a Freespace mod. Do not give yourself a heart attack.

Hey guys, I'm just going to jump in here before this potentially gets worse.

As Vinman said earlier, the picture was working on Friday. So, jumping to conclusions about it being a joke was probably not showing the best of form. If the black picture was an accident, then I'm sure that it can be fixed. Until we know if it was an accident or not, I'd recommend to not take it offensively.

That said, developers on the WCSaga project take things like this seriously since the project has been around for many years, and want it to be portrayed with accuracy. An issue such as this can be handled more professionally. Publicly demeaning people or throwing accusations is never a good way to find a solution to a problem, especially one like this. There's no need for it.

Black picture or not, thanks for posting this news article, I appreciate the positive response to my music!

-Jeff Ball

There's a fundamental mismatch here, though. If Thrakhath really believes we're a completely serious ethical group of journalists reporting on Wing Commander somehow as indicated, then he should know that having a representative from the team demand a news item be changed is the most offensive request possible. Imagine the White House demanding the Washington Post change some article critical of the President; that would *be* the story.

If, as I would maintain, it's just a fun fan site then it *doesn't matter and everyone should relax*. (But there's other gross stuff -- if this was really a problem, why the public posting about it? That's someone looking for attention, not believing he was accidentally slighted. It's something nobody noticed or cared about until Thrakhath started pointing at it. It's silly, silly, silly.)

I haven't spoken to Chris yet. I don't know if this was some intentional criticism/joke or if it's some mistake...

... *but*: cattexture26 seems to be part of a group of entirely normal Saga screenshots uploaded last week. We do this whenever we can - upload more screenshots than we need when possible so that it's easy to go back and swap around numbers when we need to spiff up an all text update later. All the other files are entirely normal and several are of the transport people say they saw earlier.

If you could talk to Chris and perhaps get it changed, that would be much appreciated! You should check out some of the newer screenshots too, they look even better than the ones posted.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Back