sad...

Razer92

Spaceman
So I'm getting ready to play WC 1 on Kilrathi Saga....I put the disc in and it starts to read and then all the sudden Boom the disc exploids or I suppose you could say just came apart.....my vd drive is fine but that just sucks to be going to my new base in germany without beinbg able to play WC 1-2. I suppose I played it a little to much over the years but it still really sucks :(

well I suppose the correct word is shattered really :( But I do have a back up of the cd somewhere at least.

I've had a CD-R exploding in my drive once. It is really scary. It is caused by small cracks on the inside edge of the disk, and the high speed rotation does the rest.

Shipgate said:
It's like when people say their pen exploded. And I'm thinking, it really exploded?

Yeah, in both cases they do. Whether it's the heat causing the ink to expand and burst the inner pen tube or a CD shattering into a million pieces because of high rotational speeds, I'd call that an explosion.

If the original poster can't find a KS, DOS WC1/2 CDs are relatively plentiful, and you can then install those games to your hard drive.

Delance said:
DOS versions of WC1 and WC2 have their advantages.

You're supposed to use this phrase when something that has problems also has a silver lining. The DOS versions really have no disadvantages to speak of though. Having to figure out DOSBox is no worse than having to get KS working in XP, so the originals don't just have their advantages - they are the superior recommended option.

And the ability to play without cockpits. The Sound and Music aren't much, however. There's the music bug, and some tunes of the add-ons are missing, maybe because they were not planned into the original release.

Can't you try and order a new copy? Or do they not ship to Germany? My condolensces though, that's really a bummer.

Back