SAaB Coming to DVD

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
I thought this a relevant thread since theres so many WC fans who happen to enjoy the FOX TV series SAaB

TVShowsOnDVD.com has announced that the long-awaited Space: Above And Beyond series is coming to DVD this summer. At first, it will be a BestBuy exclusive before being offered in stores everywhere.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3531

That'd be pretty neat, but the series ended pretty abruptly, right? I think I might have to take a vacation from tv box sets after DS9/Enterprise though. That's great news though.

ChrisReid said:
That'd be pretty neat, but the series ended pretty abruptly, right?

The last episode was one of the best ones.

It wasn't a show where there were lots of plot points left hanging, or anything.

Yeah, definitely. It was left on a note like "And the war continues without end" or something. The show wasn't always good, but the last two episodes were some great television.

I'll take a look at it, but I've got some other TV seasons of other shows to pick up (Roughnecks: Tales of the Starship Troopers, first season of Pete & Pete).

DVD boxsets are too expensive for me. I'd love to get Star Trek: TNG and DS9, but they're waaaaay too pricey. That said, Space Above and Beyond was pretty cool from what I saw. Very Wing Commander-ish vibe to it.

Is Roughnecks that 3D animated cartoon? I remember watching one episode of it. It appeared to be more true to the book than the movie was. But, then again, I saw that one episode years before I even read the book.

I used to watch S:AaB as a kid. I loved it. I can remember parts of the first episode, and maybe one or two more.

Dralthi5 said:
DVD boxsets are too expensive for me. I'd love to get Star Trek: TNG and DS9, but they're waaaaay too pricey.

Those are more the exception to the rule. Star Trek is amongst, if not the, most expensive sets you can buy. Yet X-Files has dropped quite a bit and quite a number of shows are now cheaper because of how long they've been out.

The thread title really confused me. I thought SAAB was a car. :rolleyes: I havent seen SAaB, but at least it sounds good.

LeHah said:
Those are more the exception to the rule. Star Trek is amongst, if not the, most expensive sets you can buy. Yet X-Files has dropped quite a bit and quite a number of shows are now cheaper because of how long they've been out.

Yeah, I noticed Best Buy is selling X-Files DVDs for fifty bucks a pop... used to be they were 100+... There aren't that many shows I'd buy anyway, but TNG and DS9 are a couple, so I guess I can wait a few more years and they'll go down in price. Ah, vell.

Dralthi5 said:
Yeah, I noticed Best Buy is selling X-Files DVDs for fifty bucks a pop... used to be they were 100+... There aren't that many shows I'd buy anyway, but TNG and DS9 are a couple, so I guess I can wait a few more years and they'll go down in price. Ah, vell.

I cannot overemphasize internet shopping when it comes to DVDs. Froogle, Half.com, Shopping.Yahoo.Com and Ebay all saved my ass and my wallet. 15 minutes with these sites will hook you major discounts most of the time.

d3r3k said:
Is Roughnecks that 3D animated cartoon? I remember watching one episode of it. It appeared to be more true to the book than the movie was. But, then again, I saw that one episode years before I even read the book.

I used to watch S:AaB as a kid. I loved it. I can remember parts of the first episode, and maybe one or two more.

Yup. The series was canned before they finished it up, leaving us with four episodes never made. Rumor has it that they went back and completed them, which is why the box set is being released.

LeHah said:

Science Fiction seasons do seem pretty expensive all around though. Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and other mid-level series are still like $80 per season.

Dralthi5 said:
DVD boxsets are too expensive for me. I'd love to get Star Trek: TNG and DS9, but they're waaaaay too pricey. That said, Space Above and Beyond was pretty cool from what I saw. Very Wing Commander-ish vibe to it.

Well, here's a couple great cheap boxsets I've gotten recently:

Yup. The series was canned before they finished it up, leaving us with four episodes never made. Rumor has it that they went back and completed them, which is why the box set is being released.

This is a pipe dream of internet users; the "box set" is a value-priced 'brick' re-release of the eight DVDs already available. They certainly didn't render and then produce four episodes deemed too expensive and unfeasable to do when the show was being broadcast and then again when the show was being released on regularly priced DVDs so they could *secretly* release them on a super-cheap DVD collection.

(The guys who were responsible for Roughnecks have a big online presence, though - they provided a full episode list before the first episode had even aired... which is why people know that it's specifically *four* episodes missing to begin with. If they'd been doing something like this, the internet would know.)

I have always enjoyed SAAB. The angryest Angel was my favorite episode. When will it be at Best Buy this summer? I certainly want this set in my collection.

Matt Nelson

Back