Rushed Review Rates Right (May 16, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator

We've listed millions of reviews for the Wing Commander Movie over the last seven years, but people still find ones we missed. AD found this quickie at HomeTheaterHiFi, which weights its reviews towards technical attributes. Wing Commander was a treat when it initially came out on DVD, because many special effects that were dimmed and obscured in theaters were much more visible and pronounced at home. Here's how they rated it.
Prinze Jr. and Lillard form a very good onscreen pairing with a relationship that just may remind you of your best friend. The special effects are very good at times, but some things looked like they were skimped on, most importantly the fighter ships. - Jared Baldwin -

Entertainment: 7/10
Video Quality: 9/10
Audio: 7/10
Photography: 8/10

--
Original update published on May 16, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Grey_Ghost said:
The Kilrathi were the skimpiest.

I don't think the problems with the Kilrathi had to do with skimping. Rather, they just *didn't work* as conceived and despite spending extra money to touch them up with CG they just couldnt fix the problem. Errors isnt the same thing as skimping.. besides which there wasnt a whole lot of money to start with from which to hold back funds for animatronic aliens. I don't recall if they did a lot of testing before shooting to see if the things worked or not which could have helped them see the need to work around the limitations of the the huge cat suits.

Delance said:
They should have invested more time on the Kilrathi.

Meaning what? They invested a lot of time on them. The suits they wear are pretty elaborate and well done, and the Kilrathi scenes as seen in the movie are CGI enhanced. A number of scenes with the Kilrathi ended up getting cut with the Pilgrim Traitor stuff, so we really don't even see them very much.

ChrisReid said:
Meaning what? They invested a lot of time on them. The suits they wear are pretty elaborate and well done, and the Kilrathi scenes as seen in the movie are CGI enhanced. A number of scenes with the Kilrathi ended up getting cut with the Pilgrim Traitor stuff, so we really don't even see them very much.

Quite frankly, they didn't resonate well with the audience. For the general public, and even for fans. They lacked the character they had on WC2 and 3. They didn't make the hall of fame of space movie villains.

Thrakkath has some memorable lines on WC2 and WC3, for example. I'm not just talking about apparence here, even tought I think it was pretty bad. But that's just my opinion.

Delance said:
Quite frankly, they didn't resonate well with the audience. For the general public, and even for fans. They lacked the character they had on WC2 and 3. They didn't make the hall of fame of space movie villains.

Thrakkath has some memorable lines on WC2 and WC3, for example. I'm not just talking about apparence here, even tought I think it was pretty bad. But that's just my opinion.

The real problem with the Kilrathi in the movie isnt about how they looked or sounded. Rather it was all to do with the fluidity of their movement. they looked lifeless and when they died they fell like bricks. It was a problem due to their size (height ank bulkiness) mostly. They just didn't move right.

AD said:
The real problem with the Kilrathi in the movie isnt about how they looked or sounded. Rather it was all to do with the fluidity of their movement. they looked lifeless and when they died they fell like bricks. It was a problem due to their size (height ank bulkiness) mostly. They just didn't move right.

I don't know if moving those Kilrathi around would make they look better. Anyhow, I wish they had more personality, at least. For example, I don't recall any shots inside the cockpit of the Dralthis during the dogfights, as you had inside Cylon ships or TIE fighters on EP4. I don't even remember the Kilrathi having names. Well, it's just my opinion.

The biggest problem was that the kilrathi lacked personality. They seemed more like machines than living things for various reasons.

Lt.Death100 said:
The biggest problem was that the kilrathi lacked personality. They seemed more like machines than living things for various reasons.

The actors inside the suits were just stiff. We only see them stand or shuffle, but they were actually some of the least mechanical Kilrathi costumes. I think AD hit it exactly right. If we could see them more, and see them actually in action, they'd have created a much better impression.

Back