Running WC3 on modern pc

U

Unregistered

I just got the dos version of wc3 off ebay and am having severe problems running it. I cant get it to install at all in dos and it shuts down intermittently in Windows 98, booting me out with an exception 13 error and saying that there is a bad cd-rom read. I've checked all the cd's; they're mint, or close enough to it. I've disabled everything in the config/auotexec files except the cd-rom and mouse driver and still cant get it to even install in dos. Any help would be appreciated.

My specs:

Athlon xp 2000+
K7vs5a Mobo w/ latest bios
640mb ddr ram
40gb Western Digital Hardrive
Sb Audigy soundcard
Geforce 4 ti4200
32x Hp cd-writer
Windows 98

I hate that Exception 13 - it really doesn't necessarily mean a bad read. Try installing with no sound.

Well,whats the point ? Install it and play it but with no sound ?

Next time look for the KS version ;)

Originally posted by Wedge009
I hate that Exception 13 - it really doesn't necessarily mean a bad read. Try installing with no sound.

Isnt't Exception 13 a QEMM thing?

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
Install it and play it but with no sound?
Don't be silly, it's simply to isolate the problem. If the problem is still there with no sound selected, then we can guess that the problem is not sound related. I copped Exception 13 when I tried to play with General MIDI (Win98 software synth used to handle it), but for some reason I can't do it anymore. I can still play with old fashioned SB compatible sound.

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
Next time look for the KS version
AFAIK, the KS version is little different to the DOS version since the DOS version already plays in Windows.

I'm having a problem with WC3 that's video related. I guess it could be speed related too but since the game itself plays fine I'm pretty sure it's not the issue.

Here are my system specs:

700 Mhz Athlon
nVidia GForce4 MX 440 video card
SoundBlaster Live! sound card
256 MB of RAM
48X Matshita DVD-ROM
Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 USB Gameport Joystick
2 Hard Drives equaling 90 GB of Memory

Now the problem that occurs is when the in-game movies play, they speed up really quick as they start then just stop entirely but I still have the ability to skip through them. Since I could skip through them you'd think I could just play the game not watching the movies right? Wrong! Since the in-flight communications displays are also video files, they will not play when I communicate with other ships, and thus I can't order my wingmen to break and attack nor can I get clearance to land. I also get no digital sound in flight but just the MIDI music. Does anyone else have similar problems and if so, any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I would love to play this game again!

Back