Running WC2 on windows 98

I just won an eBay auction a few days ago that has Privateer, WC 2, and Academy in boxes, and I heard that neither Privateer nor WC 2 work on DOSBox, so I really need a program that can run 'em.

Can anyone help?

WC2 runs fine in the normal DOS box of Win98. Privateer should work for win98 if you use myjemm.

Ok, I got dosbox downloaded and I tried running it but nothing I do works. I've tried reading the readme but it is too technical for me so could someone tell me how to use it? the directory that all the wc2 stuff is in is C:\WING2 and Dosbox is in C:\Program Files\Dosbox-0.60 just if you need to know.

I tried opening that guide but my acrobat reader says it can understand it so it wont open. I tried what you said but this is what comes up:
Illegal Command: .../cdwedge.
Illegal Command: wc2.exe
Illegal Command: .../tsroff.

is there something wrong with these files?

jesus, this is frustrating, I almost got it to work but then it said that it couldnt load the 'Origin FX-drivers'. what does this mean?(btw Im gonna be trying out myjemm if I can find it)

Tried using myjemm but it doesnt work. this is just an idea, but are the FX-drivers for sound or are they something more important(i dont mind playing without sound, just as long as I can play:)

update...

k, Ive been fiddling around with some of the files and Ive been searching the tech support forum looking for some answers and I think I have found one answer:
what I did is selected every file in the wc2 directory and set them so that they werent read-only and now I've got dosbox saying that it found extended memory but that it is fully used so what Im about to do is restart my comp in hopes that it'll work.

It works until the menu comes up! then it freezes and I have to clost it, but its a start! is there any way to make it stop freezing and to speed it up a bit? (dosbox sure slows it down, but it slows down too much)

It Works!!!!!!!

since I cant edit the last post I'll have to make a new one. Its a Christmas miracle, I got WC2 working! and its awesome! all I did was to take the read-only off of every file in the directory and then run MS-DOS Mode for Games with EMS and XMS Support, got into the wc2 directory and ran the .exe. it seems so simple now that I know what to do but thanks for all of the help!

Iceman16 said:
It works until the menu comes up! then it freezes and I have to clost it, but its a start! is there any way to make it stop freezing and to speed it up a bit? (dosbox sure slows it down, but it slows down too much)

You can make it go faster by CTRL+F12.
To Slow it Down: CTRL+F11

Mine works fine around 3100 CPU cycles.

Thanks for the heads up on VMDSound. That might fix a lot of things for me.

I haven't tried this DOSBox thingy yet, but, running XP Pro, my copy of Kilrathi Saga's WC2 just isn't right. The fights are too slow and the cutscenes are a hair too fast. I asked about a fix but haven't gotten a reply yet, so I decided to try working with the original. Broke out my copy of WC2 Deluxe and tried it. It worked with no sound or Joystick (mines a USB stick), but with VDMSound, I have joystick and sound now, even speech.

The problem is that the cut scenes are WAY too fast now, certain music is missing (like when Blair and Shadow are talking on the fighter deck of the station after the first mission) and certain music sounds like crap (the tonality - like the launch music), and the soundFX are crappy for the guns and hits and burners. Also, the flight part of the game is at pretty much the correct speed.

Any way to fix the sound? Any way to slow down the cut scenes without killing the flight speed?

I'm still waiting for the DOSBox staff to make a patch or something to make the keyboard work in WC2, the game runs fine, you just can't use the keyboard, and you can't run the game.

I'm gonna run Privateer in that MyJEMM,but I find it hard to use.

Can someone put up a little tutorial?

I got Privateer to work with MYJEMM so I should be able to help you if you got win98. All you do is go to your privateer directory (where you installed MYJEMM) and open MYJEMM.

IF you got the CD version of Pivateer. The disk version is a bit more complicated (at least in the last release of myjemm that I tried)

Back