Running WC2 on windows 98

Iceman16

Vice Admiral
hey, is it possible to play wc2 on win98? The reason I'm asking is because I really wanna play the missions again but dont wanna spend the limited amount of money I have to buy Kilrathi Saga. Is there some sort of patch or something already available for download that would allow WC2 to be played in win98?

Short answer: yes.
You might have problems with:
* Joystick (if USB or digital)
* Soundcard (if PCI and no proper DOS-Drivers)
* Speed in cutscenes - solveable
* Memory (too few remaining) - solveable
There is no patch.

Well...

I don't know about Win 98, but WC2 runs almost perfectly under XP with VDMSound. I know that doesn't directly help you, but I'd try running it under VDMSound anyway.

What's happened so far when you've tried to play it?

For VDMSound, you can dl it at http://ntvdm.cjb.net/ , there is a link to a board for some tweaks to make it work on Win9x, but it seems to be very beta.

For the memory, I don't know. Is it the base memory (640kb) or some XMS, EMS or something else?

Maybe that Abandon Loader that was in the news a while back might work too, but I guess it's simpler to try to solve the sound problem, than to try to run it in a emulator.
https://www.wcnews.com/news/1470

Last edited by a moderator:
So far all thats happened is when I open wc2.exe a dos window pops up and says that its opening wc2 but nothing happens. I cant run VDMSound because when I downloaded it it said that it couldnt run on win98 and quit. I'll try Abandon Loader in a few minutes.

I tried using Abandon Loader but now it says 'Bad Command or File Name' when it restarts in msdos mode and tries to load wc2. I think I got the right files selected but I'm not too sure. could anybody who knows how to use this software or has used it to load wc2 help me on this?

Well...

I'm not so sure that you have tried this (or that it will help), but have you tried just starting WC II from Ms-Dos mode straight up rather than having Windows do it?

I havent tried going into msdos mode manually but I will try that. K1nG Gr4H4m, thx giving it a try and anytime would be great

Actually...

I'll be trying out the same thing soon enough, since I just ordered a copy of WC2 DE I would really like to know how you resolved the problem since I'll be facing the same thing when my copy arrives...

I tried restarting in msdos mode but nothing happened so I let it sit for about 20 min and when nothing happened I restarted so it would restart windows. I guess I'll wait until K1nG Gr4H4m gets it working on his comp.

I just downloaded a program called dosbox or something like that and will be checking it out with wc2 in a few minutes.

I tried with DosBox and it doesn't work for me. I can't type the drive letter when I'm at the "Copy from which Drive?". I'll try something else later.

Back