Running WC ARMADA with DOSBOX 0.61

Hey - I do all of the above and all I get is a garbled screen...any thoughts?
seems to load fine, then before it displays anything is gives me the cyan colored top half of my screen...
help?

Hmm. Your setup? Also might be helpfull to post your whole dosbox-conf. And which WC Armada version do you have? Maybe there are different ones out there (already found a WC1, that didn't run under DOSBox correctly, but all other's did so...). I've got the floppy version btw, but no idea how old exactly :(

Wow so much to post on, well better get started.
Armada and Privateer does work with 6.1. It runs for me with ram set to 64 (the max), ems off, xms on, and CPU cycles at 11000 (thats were privateer runs the best), and using loadfix -64.

DosBox has no 16-bit sound support so useing Soundblaster 16 is pointless and can mess things up, Soundblaster Pro seems to work the best.

Not Armada, nor privateer will work with VDMS (at least not on a windows NT based OS) because of the JEMM issues.

As for the garbled screen I get that too (also in privateer) just hit enter or click the mouse.

Now onto the big one Joysticks. I too have the problem with my joystick (does anyone not?) and its not just Armada it happens in both the Crusaders too; however it works fine in Privateer. Why this is I have no idea as there engines are relativly closely related, IIRC. I searched and found no mention of the problem on DosBox's forums so I posted about it. Hopefully I will get a response. If you get a chance pop ovewr there and reply to my thread about joystick problems saying that you have the problem too as that may get more attention from the devs and those in the know. I am also trying to get a friend to compile the latest CVS to see if that fixes it. If it does I'll through a post up here.
Ok I think thats it. Did I miss anything?

The flight engine in Priv is readically different from the one in Armada. Priv's is related to WC2 and Armada's is a real 3D precursor to WC3. That's probably why the stick works fine on the first and sucks on the latter.

There is a working CVS version of DOSBOX with SB16 support among other imporvements in the link I posted in the Win XP summary thread. Perhaps we should test it with armada.

Bad news :( - I finally tried out Armada with the latest CVS, and it still has got bad Joystick support :( - No idea ´what to do to improve it :/

THE_WUQKED said:
Bad news :( - I finally tried out Armada with the latest CVS, and it still has got bad Joystick support :( - No idea ´what to do to improve it :/

Not quite as bad as you might think. ;)

According the unidentified sources (unknown person's post on my DOSBox forums topic) the joystick support has been rewritten, but not yet implemented. I checked the CVS as of 6/13/04 and it supports this, as it has no joystick support at all. Hopefully the problem will be solved when the new joystick support is implemented. If not I guess we'll have to wait for the next official version and if that fails we'll all just have to go over to the DOSBox forums and complain. :D

According the unidentified sources (unknown person's post on my DOSBox forums topic) the joystick support has been rewritten, but not yet implemented. I checked the CVS as of 6/13/04 and it supports this, as it has no joystick support at all. Hopefully the problem will be solved when the new joystick support is implemented. If not I guess we'll have to wait for the next official version and if that fails we'll all just have to go over to the DOSBox forums and complain.
Yes, you are right :) I just got a reply last weekend to post in a Thread about Armada+Joystick under DOSBox in their own Forum. Or wait: Wasn't that your own Thread? :)

Just wondering.. has anyone tried the dosbox modem support in Armada? It'd be fun to get an internet game going. Or the IPX support in the dosbox CVS with Proving Grounds would be even better.

Just wondering.. has anyone tried the dosbox modem support in Armada? It'd be fun to get an internet game going. Or the IPX support in the dosbox CVS with Proving Grounds would be even better.
Not yet. I first wanted to get my Joystick working. No experience with the modem support yet, anyway...

Joystick? Use keys :(
Playing Armada over the internet is one of those things that people have been trying to do (with very limited success - remember Kali?) since 1994. Now that DosBox has come along, people should be renewing efforts to get a game going.

I'm trying to install Armada now. If anyone wants to try to get a game going in a bit, let me know.

I WOULD use keys, but somehow my Armada has got the worst key-control for flying I've ever seen :( Aiming is totally impossible, imo. No idea why it's way worse than the WCI or II controls, e.g.

Agreed, it really sucks. But at least we can go around building mines, shipyards and bases for confed.

Yeah, the jumpy key controls are an Armada thing rather than a dosbox thing. The game seems to run more smoothly than Privateer though.

I had a quick go at doing the modem stuff in Armada, but I couldn't get it to give me any feedback to indicate that it's working. I'm sure you could normally type "AT" and get a response. Maybe the dosbox fake modem doesn't.

Does anyone know if armada has mouse support (in any version)? My CD copy seems to have no option for mouse at all, making it the only WC to lack it. WC3's lack of TAB afterburner is the only other problem I've had with WC mouse support.

As I only really enjoy WC with a mouse this is a fairly important feature for me.

Nope, sorry. Armada only uses the mouse for the interface.. no in flight controls. You're restricted to just joystick or keys.

On a different note, hey, another Southampton person. Are you the guy I keep seeing visiting the CIC from Southampton University?

Back