Running WC ARMADA with DOSBOX 0.61

Edfilho

Cry some more!
I tried it, after setting memory to ems=true and typing loadfix at the dosbox prompt. then I installed my diskette version (I had them copied to a single folder). It worked as far as the end of the first turn, when if froze. I must test it again, to check if the problem occurs again at the same place.

DOSBOX site reports the game as supported... maybe it'll work a second time.

Any news on dosbox .62??

Hmm, according to the DOSBox info, Armada needs EMS=False to run - but can'T guarantee that, cause my own Armada is still on its way (just ordered one at ebay :D )
To .62: Nope, no news yet, but I guess it could be out during the next month or so ;)

Just tried to get my new CDROM version of Armada to work but also with no joy. I've tried setting ems=true and ems=false. With EMS true I get an error message and with EMS false I get returned to the prompt.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Edit

Just tried reinstalling the game without sound still without joy. I've even tried installing it to play from the CDROM but it can't seem to fin data.tre on the CD, even though I've mounted the CDROM drive as D:\ (and it seems to install ok when I do that).

It does say its supported so does anyone have any suggestions?

It does say its supported so does anyone have any suggestions?
Cause I don't have it myself yet, my only suggestion would be to also start a Thread at the DOSBox-Forum. I can test it myself as early as next weekend (not this one :( ), sorry.

Ok, I got my Armada yesterday and now I know what you mean. Man, that one is really a bugger to get going :S
I've got the floppy version and first had to copy all files to my HDD in one folder to be able to install it. And then I started tweaking. - And I got it running :D I had to change several things:
- memory size is set to 4MB (any higher didn't work)
- loadfix added at the end in the autoexec.bat (so minus 64kb)
- EMS=False and XMS=True
Hope that is all. I also left sound irq to 7.
Now my only problem is my Joystick :( It's jumping arround like crazy, and can'T use mouse (not supported)? And the keyboard stearing is very bad, too :( I haven't tried the Armada patch yet, though - Don't have Internet at home at the moment, so can't test it (damn worm running around already got me once, but could fix it via system recovery. Now I wait till I can install an uptodate firewall - my old one didn't help.)

I've tried out your recommedations and I've got Armada working, albeit without sound. The lack of mouse support is really annoying, I'm sure I've had it working when I first played the game in DOS.

Thanks for the advice.

Well, the mouse works in the game menu, but at least my version seems to not support mouse for flying at all (it isn't even mentioned in the manual). To the no-sound part: You may want to try out some different IRQ etc settings. I use Midi for music with I/O 330 and Sound Blaster 16 with IRQ 7, DMA 1 and I/O 220. But maybe you need to select different settings (both ingame and in the dosbox.conf file)

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a go as soon as I get the time. Doesn't really seem like much point though if keyboard is the only option. Its almost impossible to dogfight with it.

Its almost impossible to dogfight with it.
Yes, that's true :( - But I haven't tried out the patch available at wcnews files section yet. - Maybe that fixes the joystick bug and maybe also adds mouse support ingame (if it's really not there) can't test it myself till this weekend :(

I didn't try the flight part, aside from that the game works - the only flaw is that the cursor keeps drifting...
I'll try the space flight ASAP.

I tested the space flight, and it works, I need to get it faster and to find out how to get the 'stick to work properly. Any tips on how to calibrate the joystick?

I've tried using the patch available on the WCNews file list but that doresn't seem to add mouse support. Think I might just wait for DosBox 6.2 so Priv works properly. :D

I have also tried out the patch. It includes a Joystick calibration tool, but that didn't help me at all :( My Joystick is still jumping around like crazy and the keyboard-support isn't the best either (can't aim at all with it, worsethan in WC1, for example :( )

I've tested VDMs this weekend and in the Joytick setup Proggy that came with the patch, the Joystick behaviour was much better. BUT the problem now is the NO EMS error :( - didn't find a way to get arround that with VDMS :(
Oh well, maybe DOSBox 0.62 will do it ;) (Joystick fix)

THE_WUQKED said:
I've tested VDMs this weekend and in the Joytick setup Proggy that came with the patch, the Joystick behaviour was much better. BUT the problem now is the NO EMS error :( - didn't find a way to get arround that with VDMS :(
Oh well, maybe DOSBox 0.62 will do it ;) (Joystick fix)

This thing is turning into some kind of holy grail of WC gaming.

Back