Running All Versions of WC and Priv in XP

Icarus

Spaceman
How screwed am I? I was planning on playing through the cycle of these games, that I haven't played in many years, and many computers. I have been browsing this area and get the general feeling that I am out of luck.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

i just got the same idea about last week. i cleaned out my room, found my old Wing commander stuff. I found my Kilrathi Saga (tempted to sell that on ebay for 150 and up.. but i can't seem to let go) my wing commander 4 cd set, my privateer cd with RF set and my Privateer 2 cd my Prophecy Gold Cd's. but alas my old flight stick is broken.

i got the kilrathis saga to work.. WC1 and 2 (with sm and so missions downloaded) both of these work fine. Wc3 works but the game isn't recognizing the gamepad i have through the USB port (spent like 3 hours this week searching manhattan, nyc for a old gameport Flightstick.. sucks) WC4 crashes after about a little while with gamepad usb problems, and the video suffers the same fate as Prophecy, stutters. and unlike when i was running the game in 98, i can't get the game to not enable hardware accelaration without the game freezing the movies.

so i'm going back to enjoy the first 2 wing commanders. I'll play 3 and 4 soon hopefully. Privateer i'm starting to give up on playing. I've spent SO much time trying to get it to work. I have installed vmware trying to get my old dos 6.0 to run on my new system. but i can't get the sound card to work and again i have no flightstick that attaches to the gameport. Privateer 2 is almost working. Prophecy is playable but i can't enjoy the movie aspect.

I'm thinking about rebuilding an old computer. i have an old PII 450 mhz (when i first got that i upgraded from an old 585 133mhz proccessor that was upgraded over a 486 DX 33). But i'll have to get a new mobo, case, sound card, HD, memory, etc.. etc.

i'm hoping to rebuild something that can run it. prolly run win 98. hoping to spend under 150.. but i doubt it..

Hmm, I can't get a joystick or the music/speech (was there speech in one and two?) to work for WC1 and WC2. And I'm shopping for an XP compatible or at least tolerant to slow down the processor a bit.

Any suggestions on this so far?

PC World just mentioned a program to reduce the speed of the CPU. It is in their Feb. 2003 issue (in case you want to verify). I am going to try it myself to see if that can help. The link, based on the PCWorld article is:

find.pcworld.com/31928

Ahh dear,

Well, there were several older games I wanted to play, so I got myself an old Pentium 166 with Win98 to play them all on.

All my games work on it fine - all I need now is a copy of WC-Kilrathi Saga and WC4 :)

Did you guys actually get Wing Commander to work. I am trying to get Wing Commander III to work in a Windows XP using a DOS 6.22 VMWare Guest OS. I can't seem to be able to install the game. All I get is the message that a processor has caused an exception and my machine would be unstable at this point.

What steps did you take to get it to work?

Privateer will run with a program called DOSBox, v0.61. It's a complete DOS emulator and works about 98% of the time for me. I also am replaying crusader no remorse and no regrets with it...oh the memories!

-drew-

Depends on the PC you are using. If your CPU is fast enough, it will indead work perfect with DOSBox, but if it isn't, you get sound bugs etc. - The slowest CPU I know so far being able to run Privateer via DOSBox is a 2400+ - a PIV 1.7Ghz was already to slow. - WC1 and WC2 on the other hand don't need that much CPU power and should work on slower PCs via DOSBox as well.

Back